Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A "Mystery Start" and an Apple Coffee Cake

Gentle Friends we had a cool/cold foggy weekend here by the Bay - I am love watching the fog as it rolls in over the City......


... I took this Friday evening from the end of our street - looking NW towards Downtown.  As you can see the fog rolls in over the city through the Golden Gate (on the far left outside of the snap) and from behind where I am standing it was also rolling in over Twin Peaks and then both arms of fog sort of meet over the Mission.....  glorious Summer!!
________________

As I mentioned last week I am saving the fill stitching on "Thy Needle" for my upcoming trip, so I needed another piece to work on, Heaven forbid I actually pull out a WIP from the basket....  I was itching to get to a piece that was released last year, the 3 Part Hallowe'en Mystery Sampler from Lizzie Kate.  It is a small and sweet piece that is working up nicely.....  here's a snap...


.. I am stitching it on a piece of recommended 30ct WDW "Tin Roof" and using the recommended WDW floss ( I added a couple of GAST colours)  I am not a fan of 30 ct linen and would prefer a higher count linen, but like with most LK designs there are some bits a pieces to add at the end and they would be over sized on higher count linen.  Another thing... "Tin Roof" is a great grey shade of linen and in the snap it looks brown, what's up with that!!
_____________

On Sunday I baked up a version of Jean's Apple Coffee Cake I found the recipe over on the 


... the cake came together quickly, the only changes I made were to the apple mixture, I added about a 1/4 teaspoon of ground clove and grated in quite a bit of nutmeg, to kick up the Fall spicy back notes - I also doubled the chopped walnuts, I like a nutty cake!!  It is a super cake and really delicious warm with a cup of coffee, Thanks Jean!!!
_____________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by, do stop again!

Take care,
edgar

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture of the fog rolling in. The L & K stitching is looking nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great snaps! That cake looks delicious, I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo of the fog rolling in.

    We were amazed at how fast this happens when we were on a hill near the GG Bridge once.

    Why does reading your blog always make me hungry? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photo. The cake looks yumm. Thanks to you I have a whole lot of recipes to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edgar!

    I loved stitching this piece back last summer! Such a fun stitch and I'm glad to see you've put a start in on it ;)

    I seem to remember having some problems when I got the sampler in the mail MINUS the fabric and you offered to come to my rescue should I need fabric! While I got everything straightened away with the company I ordered it from I will never forget your kind offer!

    Have a fun stitch.

    PS: I have a love hate relationship with fog as I come from one of the foggiest places on earth (literally).But San Fran is so beautiful in your pic!!!! Hope to get there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Edgar: The picture is positively beautiful, I too am a picture taker, I have some pictures I am going to have done in black and white instead of the color I like the dramatics of black and white,
    love your Lizzie Kate, I should finish buying the patterns to start working on this one.
    Yummy on the goodies you made.
    Catherine

    P.S. I have been working on my winning needlepoint from you I am slow but will get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Edgar: Love the fog picture.
    Yummy looking goodies you made.
    I love the LK mystery sampler.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww sweet spooky start..I love the samer so much .
    Yummy treat :)
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  9. After 10 days in steamy hot Alabama, your fog looks beautiful!!I did that sampler last fall, it is a fun easy stitch! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your LK is looking great! Love the pic of the fog too. And your baking -- looks delicious as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ciao Edgar!
    beautiful weather you're having over there. we're about to get another African heat wave, what the heck.

    I started Very Scary too only a couple of weeks ago! I had linen and silks since last August but never got back to it until now..!
    I gave in to the 35ct. though, hopefully everything will look properly sized here as well! :)
    hugs and happy xxx,
    chiara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely picture of the city with the fog. :)

    Ohhh the Halloween snap is adorable. Love that little owl on top of the pumpkin. Lizzie Kate always has such cute designs. Looking forward to watching your progress on this one. :)

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photo, great view, & I can just about smell & taste that coffee cake : )

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...