Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Arrives

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends I do thank you for your kind comments about the finish yesterday.  As usual you are all too kind!!  Yesterday was a warm one here in SF - it got to an official 88 and today it is supposed to be a bit warmer.  With all the micro climates in the city I think it was only 88 down in the Mission and SOM (South of Market)- up on Red Rock - where we live if it was in upper 70's I would have been surprised.  We have been told that by Saturday it should be back to normal temps - the mid 60's with some nice fog - can't wait for that to happen.
__________

I wanted to answer a couple of questions from yesterdays comments -  the linen I am using for the Mystery Sampler is the recommended WDW Confederate Grey - 35 ct.  Although it is more brown than grey it is a very pretty piece of linen - and - Mouse asked about "why no WIP" - I would guess that the reason is I am just lazy and was totally jonesing to start the new Mystery Sampler - you know how it goes sometimes.
_________

Over the weekend we got to some estate Sales and Consignment Shops - and here is a snap of the haul.....

Working clockwise from l to r - I picked up a couple of books - "Q" by Luther Blissett and an early copy of "Goodbye Mr. Chips" by Jame Hilton - on the books are a couple of ornaments and a little St Patrick, in the back is a great pressed and etched "celery vase" - moving r... an older aluminum shaker, a "scissor frog", pin cushion and strawberry and little blown mercury glass miniature star for a small Christmas tree.
_________

Thinking it is Christmas time my crazy Christmas Cactus is all a'bloom and looking really lovely.....

This is the second time since last fall this plant has popped out a bunch of flowers.
__________

I also got around to baking up a tasty blackberry coffee cake
- since the berries are just beautiful this season....

I will get the recipe posted in the morning - it was very easy to make.
__________

That's about it for today sports fans.  Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to post a comment on yesterdays post if you want to enter the Gift-a-way.

Take care,
edgar

19 comments:

  1. That coffee cake looks delicious!! Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finds at the sales. Love the scissor frog. Coffee cake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! The coffee cake sounds delish! Look forward to getting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Christmas cactus plants -
    It looks lovely ;)

    Who wouldn't love coffee cake - yum !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks seriously delicious!!! Love your Christmas plant...lol. May be it thinks it's an Aussie. Here in Australia it's Winter after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always envious of your usual SF weather. Love all the finds -- especially the scissor frog. And of course your coffee cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that scissors frog is too cute! what great finds.
    I love Xmas cactai too, but I am not very nice to mine. I have been telling myself for months that all my house plants really need a repotting session bad... My poor, poor plants....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, it's supposed to be 90+ today. Oof...too hot for me!

    Great finds at the sale. I love your Christmas cactus. Mine died a sad death. I'll have to remember to go to the flower market this year to get a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo nice finds Edgar :) and I'll let you off then hehehehe .... seeing as you have been soo good on all the rest of your stitching .. I am the official checker upper on peeps in my group ;) oooo cake looks scrummy looking forward to the recipe:) take care and happy stitching love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice your christmas cactus is blooming..! I wish mine behaved better, I don't think I have had blooms on it in awhile.

    Also, the coffeecake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhhh....can't wait for that recipe. Sounds (and looks) delicious!
    I always enjoy your sale finds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one yummy looking coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodbye Mr Chips is one of my favourite movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I NEED to move to SF and work where Rico does-think they need a nurse?? Looks yummy as usual Edgar!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice finds Edgar, and the Blackberry Coffee cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A late welcome home! Glad you had a fun visit down south... somehow don't think of FL as south...hum? Seeing your lovely LHN monthlies makes me want to do them as individuals to hang in some pretty frame on my door at work - thanks for the inspiration. First I've had for this collection. Always enjoy your auction/thrift finds, too. And your baked goods make me wonder why you're not as round as you are tall - but you must get good workouts on your outings! See ya later!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Edgar your blueberry coffee cake looks delicious!!! I love blueberries. You had some great finds. I am been looking for a scissor frog for quite some time. You are so lucky to find one. Have a good week. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice treasures you picked up. My Mom's christmas cactuses bloom at different times of the year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Christmas cactus looks so pretty.
    The cake looks delicious. Congrats on such great finds :)

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...