Friday, June 17, 2011

Florida Trip Eats

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends I am so happy you have been enjoying the snaps of Florida.  If you ever get the chance to visit the Sunshine State there are lots of things to do outside of Central Florida and all the attractions there.  Don't get me wrong - I love me some Disney/Sea World/Universal but Florida is so much more than the man-made theme parks.  It is a sad fact but, often the readily available and naturally beautiful is overlooked for the more flashy and obvious things in life.
________

Today I wanted to mention some of the eats I enjoyed whilst visitng.

From reading this Blog you know that I am a big fan of the Diners.  One of my favorites is Waffle House!  You don't find them outside to the South much and there are none anywhere by me here in northern California.


They usually occur near highways and are great for fast and tasty breakfasts!!  The one pictured above is in Daytona Beach at International Drive and 95 and is as good as all the rest.  The one I ate at the most is the one in Ormond beach on US 1 and 95.  You get a great meal for very little!!  
__________

Another place that exists in the South and when I was growing up and lived there you could only find in a Mall location is Chic-fil-a.  They are some here in California but none in the SF - 


You just can't beat a good chicken sandwich, Cole slaw and some waffle cut fries!!!  Tha's some good eating!!!
__________

I also love some good Barbecue - and Dustin's fits the bill.  Along with very tasty pulled pork they have fried okra - and I do love okra - anyway it is fixed, but especially fried. They serve is with a side of ranch dressing (which I don't really care for).


We had Barbecue a few times while I was there and even went there for my mom's Birthday dinner - where I was the only one to order Barbecue pork - my mom, brother and nephew all ordered fried shrimp!!
__________

There you go sports fans - a really nice trip south - it was hot, but nice!!!  Thanks again for stopping by and for you super comments!!

Have a great weekend!!

Take care,
edgar




19 comments:

  1. Oh, you're making me hungry! I've never been to any of those places, but they sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now you have me hungry. I am familiar with all your stops. Another favorite we don't have in CA is the Cracker Barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to visit the Buckeye State. Here in Ohio we have lots of Waffle Houses and Chick Fil A's. We also have quite a few nice stitch shops.
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edgar, So good to have you back! Thanks for mentioning the "Waffle House" You are right, I don't see them here in the PNW. That was one of my Dad's favorite spots. With Father's Day on Sun., my thoughts have turned to him a lot lately. Thanks for bringing up that fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the vacation pics, Edgar! I am also a serious fan of 'slaw! Most of my friends dislike it, so I often get their portions! lol!

    We went to a BBQ fest in the city last weekend and ate from about 2/3 of the stands. I think I had about 7 kinds of cole slaw--if Only I'd taken pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edgar I have to say I love reading your blog and usually just lurk. BUT I HAVE TO SHARE THIS! If you like okra then you will love this. Get your favorite salami - sliced. Spread some cream cheese on it and roll a pickled okra up in it. Spear with a toothpick. HEAVEN! Honest. Enjoy! - Kirby

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering! I just won't even think about the Weight Watcher points plus values!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMMMMM! That food sounds so good, Edgar! I am practically drooling on my keyboard-LOL. Thank goodness it will be lunchtime here in an hour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like all our faves here! Though in this area, Doumar's BBQ is supposed to be outstanding. Haven't had it myself. NC BBQ is good! And I love Waffle House! Love cheese eggs and raisin toast! My very fave! Thanks for making my tummy grumble! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've lived in California, Georgia, Missouri,Kentucky, Pennesylvania and currently Ohio and no matter where I've been there are places I miss. My favs from CA were El Pollo Loco, Carl's Jr and In-n-out burgers - great eats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love both Waffle House and CFA. Yummy!!! Now I'm hungry, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That fried okra looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You need to come to Ohio! We have both Chick-Fil-A AND Waffle Houses!! Love the pecan waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love Waffle House. I had never been to one before I moved to Texas. How did you have your hash browns?

    ReplyDelete
  15. No Waffle House??

    *faints*

    For your future FL travels, check out the Morse Museum in Winter Park (a suburb of Orlando)...it contains a huge collection of Tiffany lamps, vases, and an entire chapel Louis Comfort Tiffany did for a Worlds' Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a Chick-Fil-A lover too.. and I think it's awesome that they are closed on Sundays so their employees can go to church and spend time with their families. Plus their chicken is one of a kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved your pictures and comments. I grew up in Florida and love it! Family is still there but haven't been back since Xgiving. Anyway, keep up the good work. Your stitching is absolutely beautiful.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry forgot to mention - you should hit Sebastian Inlet next time you're there, heading south down A1A. And commercial or not, Cocoa Beach Pier and Coconuts on the Beach (restaurant and place to see all the 'crazies' on the beach).

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...