Monday, September 4, 2023

A Little Stitchin' and a Little Tudor

 Gentle Friends, I've made a good start on the 9th Part of "For the Birds". This last piece is called "The Last Ripe Berries."  Here's a snaperoo...


... sorry about how wonky it is but as per usual I took the snap with the piece still trapped in the old Q-snap.
_________________

Over the weekend I got us tickets to see the exhibition at the Legion of Honor called " The Tudors: Art and majesty in Renaissance England."  
"Elizabeth I' by Nicholas Hilliard 1592
This painting is on loan from Hardwick Hall... It's an enormous painting and just gorgeous... notice the elaborate kirtle or underskirt a gift from Elizabeth Shrewsbury, or as she is better known as Bess of Harwick, the richest woman in England after Queen Elizabeth I.  The exhibition is here until the 24th of this month so if you're near San Francisco I would highly recommend getting over to the Legion of Honor for a view.  You do need tickets but they can be gotten on the Internet.
____________________

Thanks for stopping by do stop again.  Stay safe!!

Good Thoughts! Good Words! Good Deeds1
edgar

9 comments:

  1. Block 9 is off to a good start, Edgar. Glad you were able to go see the Tudors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That exhibition sounds amazing. I love watching all those period shows just for the clothes. The under garments are just as amazing as the actual clothes. I can't imagine wearing so many layers back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look up the story about the piece of Elizabeth I's dress that they found at St Faith's Church in Bacon. Smithsonian and the Telegraph had articles about it, and there are some YouTube videos about it as well. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will definitely look it up.

      Delete
    2. The Bacton Alter Cloth is spectacular and a wonderful survivor from the period!!

      Delete
  4. Great start on Panel 9... That painting at the exhibit - be still my heart...that embroidered underskirt is fabulous. How fortunate you were to be able to view it in person. I imagine you could have spent much more time just examining all the details of that painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was truly wonderful show and really great to see before it left SF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the benefits of living in a city like SF.... It sounds like a wonderful exhibit. I hadn't know a great deal about Bess of Harwick, but a blog pal of mine from the UK recently went to Hardwick Hall and shared some wonderful photos and stories. Fascinating woman and life. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bess of Hardwick was a true force to be reckoned with for sure!!

      Delete

Sampler Stitchin'

 Gentle Friends, still stitching away on Sarah... here's a snaperoo... ... I think I'll move through the centre section for a while....