Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Musings

GR&DF can you believe it is almost the end of May!! Here in SF the weather has certainly taken on its Summer mantle - cool to cold and a ton of Fog - we are even going to get some rain today!! This past weekend was cool on Saturday and down right cold yesterday. Where we are - up near Diamond Heights the wind whips across the peaks and down into Noe Valley so our micro climate was in the low 50's and quite chilly!!

Saturday Rico and I ran around to a few estate sales (Dale is back in NC visiting) there was not too much stuff out but I did pick up a few things...

I have a friend who collects 78's and think he will like this nice set of records, This Christmas set dates to 1949 and is in pretty great condition. I also picked up a really heavy cupcake "12" hole pan and super supper cookbook!!

Since it was a short day on Saturday and I knew I was not going out on Sunday I got the urge to bake something. I had been wanting to make a "Kringle" for a while and this was a perfect time. I wanted one filled with a nut filling.... so it started with...

....toasting the pecans and walnuts (the recipe called for only pecans, but I like them both!!) adding butter, and some spices - and a quick whirrr in the processor and the filling was done. Then it was on to the pastry part...

.... adding the sour cream - this is a very soft dough that makes two Kringles. After a rest of about 30 mins in the fridge - it was time to move on to the rolling out.....

..... and filling the pastry up with the nut stuff I made earlier. You then fold the pastry over the filling and seal the edges. Twisting this into a ring and moving it onto a parchment lined tray you have to let it rest over night in the fridge. On Sunday I got them out of the fridge and into a moderate oven for about 50 mins. After turning golden brown and letting them cool a bit I put some glaze on and ended up with....

.... two pretty tasty pastries!! I sent one off with Rico this morning and the other we hacked into yesterday while it was warm and had it with coffee. It is so big that I will probably have a piece every day this week - in fact I have one this morning with my coffee..... It is pretty tasty, and such a versatile thing - I think the next ones will be some sort of fruit. Since the cherries are coming in the other nice fruits are soon to follow - and that means more baking and preserving time will soon be here.

The stitching this weekend was exchange and gift stitching - I think the week will be mostly gift stitching with very little Alpha Sheep Sampler work.

There were some flickers but I will hold off until tomorrow about those.

There you go sports fans. Thank you for stopping by- do stop by again tomorrow - same Bat time same Bat channel!!

Take care,
edgar

16 comments:

  1. Looks so good! I do get the urge to make something yummy once in a while, but I'm usually the one that ends up eating the whole things...so I try and avoid it! LOL
    BTW, just looked for "The Devil and Miss Jones" on Netflix, and they don't have it. I'm really bummed, and I'm on the hunt to see if I can get it elsewhere. '
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Kringle looks so yummy! And your church cookbook find! Oh how many wonderful recipes you find in those. Can't wait to hear what movies you watched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmn! It sounds really tasty! :D Baked goods are such a process--but what a payoff! :D Can it really already be late May?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I long for a real kitchen so I can bake again! Those kringles look soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, it's 11:30AM here in Maine and after seeing these Kringles I am officially STARVING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baking looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh that pastry look so yummy! I can hear my stomach rumbling! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pastries look super yummy! Love your header picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an amazing baker! Wow! I wish I could have a piece of that pastry. Yum! It's so cool the things you find at estate sales.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! What a great thing to make on a cold and gray weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! And I bet that cookbook has some wonderful recipes! I wish I had more time to try new recipes.. my husband cooks our dinners since he is a better cook, and he gets home two hours or so before me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. *faints* Those kringles look mighty tasty, Edgar. If you ever fancy a holiday in Oklahoma...my oven...I mean my guest room is free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Edgar! Can you come bake some goodies for me and my hubby? It might get me out of the dog house!( I know, usually it's the other way around, but I messed up big this time! Note to self: Can't charge on his credit card! :(
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, that looks absolutely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Edgar! Where can I get this kringle recipe? We love kringles and get them for the holidays, but if I had a recipe....What fun I'd have!!!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...