Thursday, September 26, 2019

A Little Thrifting .... a Little Abbey......

Gentle Friends, in addition to my DMV visit and Lowes expedition on Friday I also hit a couple of the thrift stores I would normally get to Saturdays.  I knew I wouldn't be up to running around or have the time Saturday... and thrifting is something I like doing... I found a little something...


... this great small German Volkstedt Porcelain 3-D plaque... I have a couple of these from my grandmothers' estate, they are the blue jasperware, this green jasperware piece is really unusual, in that the cherub is grimacing, I think this is an allegory of Love... the heart pierced with and arrow and the cherub being "Love Stung"... so basically in porcelain form, it says "love hurts."  It's really sweet and for a few dollars how could I pass it up!!
_____________

Sunday afternoon we headed to the Alamo Drafthouse to see the Downton Abbey Movie.  What's so special about this theatre is that it has a full-service menu which they keep serving during the film) and the seats are large lounge chairs and the wait staff was super!!  They make some mean bourbon cocktails!! - and - some killer adult milkshakes!!  It was so fun!  They also have a hard and fast rule that there is no talking, no tweeting no phones at all during the film and that you'll be asked once to stop.  If you don't stop then they'll eject you from the theatre immediately... no refunds.  I love that they enforce the rules and the jibber-jabber and yakkity yakking are nonexistent.  It's these distractions that keep me from going to see movies in theatres more frequently.  The movie was really fun also, we are big DA fans and went with friends who are also big fans so it was great fun wrapping up the weekend.  The ADH is located in the New Mission Theater built-in 1916, renovated in 1932 so there are lots of Art Deco details.  It is a true old fashioned movie palace!!  We're already planning a trip back for another fun evening.
_______________________

There you go sports fans, Thanks for stopping by do stop again!

Good Thoughts! Good Words! Good Deeds!
edgar

4 comments:

  1. Another great find from your thrifting efforts! We haven't seen the movie yet and I'm chomping at the bit. That theatre sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find and your interpretation sounds spot on. I envy you
    that theatre format...sounds sublime.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fascinating plaque! We plan to see that movie so thanks for the positive review. Sounds like an awesome theater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you enjoyed the movie. We have an Alamo in our little town of Winchester and like you, I just love it. My 10 year old GD was upset I saw the movie without her! Go figure!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Another Rabbit Hole......

 Gentle Friends, here's a snaperoo of Sarah... ... I'd be further along if it weren't for my phone.  My phone you say!  Specific...