Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Paris Fall 2018

Gentle Friends, I headed to Paris via train, getting on in Saumur, changing trains in Tours then hoping off a few hours later at Gare Montparnasse....  it was late in the afternoon, and I opted for a taxi instead of my usual Metro riding. Once I settled into my hotel, I took a shower... and then did a little research on my phone for a Sushi restaurant and found that there was a pretty decent one just a few doors away from my hotel called Tsuru...

... I started off with some miso soup...   and a beer...

... then some pot stickers...

... and some really delicious Sashimi, anTunana Roll with some decoratively shredded daikon......

... and I wrapped it all up with a  nice espresso...It was a sweet little dinner and a great way to start off Paris.
___________________________

  The next morning I had already bought tickets and made some plans... usually, before I leave for a trip I do quite a bit of research online about things to do, see or new things to do if I've been there before.  I've been to Paris quite a few times and have done many fun things and seen many wonderful things but I was sniffing around to see what was new that might be fun in the City...  

I found a place called Atelier des Lumieres or the Workshop of Lights... It is a brand new art space that just opened this past Spring... here's a blurb...   It is located in a former iron foundry created by the Plichon family in 1835 and has gone through a 9 million euro make over Culture Spaces.  It is the first Digital art center featuring 120 voideo projectors and a special discrete audio (50 nexo speakers with controlled directivity) for immersive exhibitions.  

With what information I could find and the short video's I watched I was still a bit leery.  I am very traditional when it come to art and I like flat work flat and scuplture in the round...  but I thought why not give something modern a try.... I am SO GLAD I did!!  You can click HERE to see the Ateliers site and their video...  I found this video on YouTube, it's in French with subtitles.  It is a short visit from "Arts in the City" about the goings on in the art community in Paris.... and gives you a real feel for what the AL space is like...



... I also took some stills while I was there, but they are not very good about showing what the experience is like... after reading all about the space and seeing the short film...I really wanted to get to the "exhibition" ... there were two "exhibits" one about the artist Klimt and the second about Viennese Succession called Hundertwasser .... so I quickly ordered my tickets online and was booked in for 10 am ... a short metro ride over and a quick walk up rue St Maur and I found the space...

Image result for light workshop
... I was glad got early tickets in advance as the line when I got there was huge (the snap above I swiped from online).... and I just walked right past the crowd and on into the building.  There are free lockers to lock up your things so that was handy...  I walked in on the middle of the frist presentation... and while enjoying it and getting my bearings I found a large wooden spool to sit on and just took it all in.... then it began...



... the images flowed over the walls and floors ... breaking up and ...swirling about..






... here's another short film...

... I took this shot of the space during the break between presentations... 
you can see how really big the foundry is...

.... I stayed for a good couple of hours and watched the presentations a few times... it was probably one of the coolest things I did on the whole trip... and I would highly recommend this experience to anyone going to Paris and you would enjoy the art there are "exhibiting".  I know that they have extended this premier show until January so there is still time to experience this wonderful exhibit!
_________________________

There you go sports fans, thanks again for stopping by do stop again!

Take care,
edgar

3 comments:

  1. Wow! it looks like you made a very good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Edgar: Oh my gosh you are so lucky you have been to the Lumieres I would give just about anything to visit them.
    It sounds like you are having a beautiful trip.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fascinating. While in my early twenties (a very long time ago) I lived in paris for 6 months and especially loved going to the art galleries. You always have such wonderful trips. Thank you for sharing them. x

    ReplyDelete

Another Rabbit Hole......

 Gentle Friends, here's a snaperoo of Sarah... ... I'd be further along if it weren't for my phone.  My phone you say!  Specific...