Monday, November 19, 2018

A Stitchin' Finish, a Stichin' Start and a Stitchin' Trip Across the Bay

Gentle Friends, over the weekend I finally finished up Smith Sampler... 
and here's a shot of that sucker...


"Smith Sampler" by Scarlett House
8/12 - 11/16
It is stitched on 40 ct vintage something... and I used the called for silks, except, and you knew there would be an exception... I switched out the Glorianna "Woolly Bear" for Belle Soie "Espresso" and I also added a silk color, NPI Lightest Pear Grey color 671.  I added this additional pale grey because I thought the white I was using, Belle Soie "Oatmeal Scone" was far to close in color to the linen, so why not add something else...it was a fun stitch and I'm really happy with how it turned out!!
_____________

I had a couple of thoughts as to what to stitch next, I wanted something Christmasy for sure... and finally landed on a great piece from Modern Folk Embroidery.  I really like Jacob's designs and his aesthetic...the sampler I chose is "Scandinavian Christmas Sampler.  It's a great monochromatic piece with snowflakes, deer and pine trees!!  You couldn't ask for anything more??  Here's my pitiful little start...


"Scandinavian Christmas Sampler" 
Stitched on 40 Vintage Navy Bean 
"Poinsettia" by Glorianna
Start 11/17
________________

Before I could make a start on my new stitch I needed to make a trip... so Saturday we headed over to Alameda and my LNS, Needle in a Haystack, for a little shopping.  I needed to make this fun trip because I didn't have enough red silk in any amount in my stash to do this piece.   I wanted to make sure that all the silk came from the same dye lot.... and I also needed to stock up on some linen...and a road trip seemed like a sensible thing...  and I took some snaps...

 ... I knew I wanted to stitch the sampler in red, and so I began by just pulling reds... and eventually landed on "Poinsettia."  It's really a bright red with little hits of dark spots... and Glorianna silks always stitch up really smoothly!!

 ... there were so many choices to look at...


 ...  and there on the right, you can see the start of my pile of linen's and my red silk and a couple of packs of JJ 28 gold petit needles, I love these needles and they are what I always use.  Cathe, the owner of NIAH, was there and so helpful as always!!!  It is such a joy to visit this shop I should make the effort to get here more often!!  I would highly recommend this store and the ladies there they are all wonderfully helpful!
_______________

There you go sports fans, thanks again for stopping by dos top again!!

Take care,
edgar

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on your finish! The Smith Sampler is just beautiful. There's nothing like a red sampler for the holidays! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece, I am so envious of you having a LNS. I wish I had one ,even an hour away I would go there but nope, nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finish...
    Great start...
    Awesome LNS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful, I love your embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Smith Sampler is gorgeous, Edgar! Such an inspiration for me while mine is all kitted up and waiting to be stitched.
    Happy Thanksgiving, Lancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I have LNS envy!! I have never seen anything like this is England, occasionally you find that a shop that sells Anchor and DMC but never one that has such an array of beautiful threads. The only place to get anything not ordinary is usually online. I want to come and visit just to see that shop, you must be the luckiest stitcher in the world to have it averrable. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on getting the Smith Sampler finished! It is stunning. Good start on the one by Modern Folk Embroidery! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the shop and all the eye candy! Have a blessed Thanksgiving, Edgar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish, stash shopping .... great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos of the shop - nothing that good around here. I love the wall of fabric choices. Nice job on the Smith Sampler. I may need to add that to my to-do list. I have lots of Smith family members in my genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Smith Sampler is absolutely beautiful! I'm tempted to put it on my to do list. That shop looks wonderful. My closest one is all the way to Portland. Shame on Seattle for not having one shop like yours. I have been thinking about you and the fires. I hope you are taking it easy with that very bad air. We had something like it last summer and were constantly being warned to avoid the outdoors. I am so sorry for California.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is no wonder that you are such a prodigious stitcher, Edgar, having
    such an almost-Paradise LNS at your disposal...You do them proud...
    Looking forward to your Christmas sampler. Your Smith is another
    tour de force. A most blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a speedy stitcher! Love all your samplers (my favorite :)). Thanks for the link to Modern Fold Embroidery :) I love all his patterns :) Happy turkey day to you and Rico :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edgar, another beautiful finish! I so miss the shop we used to have here in Portland, Maine. It closed years ago and now I have to order everything online. Unfortunately, the East coast is not so big on needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WHOA! What a great LNS! I think that is a ton of Soie d'algier I see! We don't have a LNS here really and I'm sure sad that we don't. Smith Sampler looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pattern and the selection of thread.. am slightly green with envy that you have access to such abundance of materials.. wish we had something even half as good here in India!!

    ReplyDelete

A Damp Weekend

 Gentle Friends, still stitching away on Sarah, and here's a snaperoo... ... I like all the little bits of "wonky" that are pa...