Monday, March 25, 2013

Thrifting and Baking

Gentle Friends the weekend was just lovely here by the Bay.  Great weather - bright and sunny with a brisk little breeze and just a touch of fog in the evenings!!  Perfect in my opinion and what keeps me here.... or one of the reasons I stay!!

With only two little days it seems that I got quite a bit done - on Saturday we did our usual early morning grocery shopping, starting off with a cup of coffee and scones at Starbucks.  Then it was on to the Thrift Shops and Estate Sales..... I knew I had an appointment with an art restorer in the afternoon so I had to be brisk with my thrifting.  

Even with a short amount of time I found a few treasures....


From the back..... I found this great little platter at an Estate Sale, by Johnson Brothers in the "Vintage" pattern I just love those big leaves, sitting on the platter is a great little sterling tea diffuser, after I've had a go at it with the silver polish, it started of coal black!!  The two books are from a set of three done in 1940 and have some super illustrations, and the little contemporary St Nicholas Icon was only a couple of dollars and I just had to have him.
___________

I made it to the art conservators with my painting, it is one from the group of paintings I got from my mom's Estate, it was in desperate need of a good cleaning - I'll show you some before and after snaps once I get it back in a month or so.   he did some test spots and the clean spots were like night and day difference.

Late in the day I made some pastry for some rugelach - these are one of my top 10 favorite cookies.  I have only ever bought them and never tried to make them.  Well, home made are a 1000 times better than anything I have ever bought.  I made two kinds, strawberry and apricot/walnut.  Here's a snap...


I'll talk a little more about them tomorrow and show an update on Elizabeth - it's a busy Monday morning here so I'll sign off for today.  Thanks for stopping by - do stop again!!!!

Take care,
edgar

10 comments:

  1. The little tea infuser is adorable, i've never seen a teapot one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum that your rugelach looks positively delish, I love your St. Nicholas Icon picture, it is beautiful, lovely plate, nice job on the tea infuser.
    Love the plate.
    Happy Easter
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thrift shop finds - I really love that little tea infuser too!! And I love homemade rugelach. My MIL makes it all the time and it's so much better than store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I have to try making rugelach sometime soon as it always looks so delicious. My Stanford University graduate student son is currently enjoying snow, sleet, freezing rain and dentist appointments here on Long Island. I don't dare show him your enviable weather report. Love your finds also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, call me ignorant. I didn't realize rugelach was spelled like rugelach. lol! Looks absolutely delicious! Love your finds at the thrift store. Sounds exciting about the painting restoration too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great treasurers! Glad to hear about your painting! What yummy looking treats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun finds and a yummy looking dessert. CJ in OK

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you found some fun things while thrifting - I did that over the weekend too! Everything you bake always looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems so delicious can I taste please?

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...