Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Getting Some Needlework Back

Gentle Friends thanks so much for your enthusiasm and super comments for my little St. Patrick's Gift-a-Way.  I do love the drawings and giftings in the Blog world they are such fun - and the hunt for Belleek in my weekend travels is totally fun!!
____________

Breaking up my mom's house and dispersing her things is odd as I have said before.  I am still unpacking stuff and trying to find new homes for the things I had shipped out her to me - some of the things I just was not going to toss into the Estate Sale or Salvation Army pile - things that especially were not going was the needlework things I made or that my mom, grandmother and great grandmother made. 

Today I wanted to show the three cross stitch things I kept from all the pieces I gave my mom. 

This I made specifically for her - since she was such a super gardener and really liked angels I thought this was totally appropriate.


This is one I stitched many years ago, and never had framed, then my mom said something about dolls and country themed stuff, and so this seemed to fit in, and I had it framed up and she hung this in the breakfast room were it fit nicely.  It was stitched so long ago (notice the year 1986) that I was still stitching on Aida cloth.

 and this piece I worked on while I was visiting one time - and she really liked it, and sort of nagged a bit about it...  I surprised her with it as a Christmas present.  It was also a fun piece to stitch!!

I post some other needlework things tomorrow that I rescued and have now become the custodian of for my lifetime.

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching that you saved Edgar, and they hold such special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your blog. Your work is amazing. I so look forward to see your blog pop up in my google reader. I must tell you that I think it is so funny when you say 'sports fans'. I am usually very busy and serious but this gets me every time and pauses me to lighten up a bit. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now , Edgar don't knock Aida I do all pillows and smaller samplers on 28 or 32 count but some large samplers I still do on 18 ct Aida. I find they stitch up faster. It will be nice to surround yourself with Mom's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always a happy time to look back at pieces you have done, your mum was a lucky lady to be blessed with all this needlework around her. I especially like your bottom sampler. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they all so cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first and the last piece pictured are in keeping with what I have come to think of as your aesthetic. But the country doll piece was a bit of a surprise ... somehow not what I think of as "you".
    I am looking forward to seeing the pieces stitched by your mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. I love vintage needlework and to own three generations worth in addition to your own sounds like heaven to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them all! That first piece I've never seen before. I really love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very beautiful collection of work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely pieces and all the more special because of the feelings and love that went into making them for your mother. My parents save all my "crafty stuff" . On the opposite end of the scale is my sister-in-law. I occassionally raid the linen closet or storage room and claim back unapprecitaed needlework gifts. She never knows they are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what special pieces Edgar. I love the last one. Can you tell me who the designer is. I really enjoy reading your blog.
    Thanks,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. In 1986 we were all stitching in Aida!!! lol I have a piece I stitched back then (on Aida) and still love it! Hasn't our taste changed over the years and the designers are so much more varied today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pieces are lovely and with such special meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful Stitching! I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such nice memories, not only of your past stitching, but also your mom and how meaningful these pieces were to her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful stitching!

    I agree with cl's comment above about how we were all stitching on aida back in 1986.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How very pretty and colorful to look at while I'm in the midst of a snow storm; thanks Edgar!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its so hard, Edgar, reading your posts reminds me of going through all my grandma's and aunt's things. My grandma had some of my XS things and now my Mama has them and many others.....
    Hang in there my friend. You'll look on these and remember her and why you stitched them with love :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hopefully this is where we post to be included in the drawing for "Quiet Man"! I greatly enjoy your blogspot and all the lovely side posted blogspots to visit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful pieces ~ and the memories you have to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are all beautiful Edgar, and I am sure your mom treasured these dearly. You obviously were a very dear son. The memories will never fade, and rehanging these in your home will bring you so much comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Edgar,
    Awesome stitching and wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing. :-) Dorothy
    dmorton001@indy.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. So nice that the pieces came back to you. I know that you will have wonderful memories of your Mom every time you look at them.

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...