Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Three Great Hallowe'en Films

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends thanks so much for your kind comments about yesterdays post.  It was a fun foodie weekend for sure!!
__________

I had today's post mulling over in the back of my mind for a week or so but just never got to getting it written and posted.  Now with Hallowe'en over and today being the 1st of November - that seems incredible!!  I better get to mentioning these films - and although worth seeing anytime of the year they lend themselves to the Fall and Hallowe'en especially.

First up will be a film from my childhood - that I have seen many times over the years and always enjoy!!  "Mad Monster Party" - 1967 - starring the voices of Boris Karloff, Allen Swift, Gale Garnett and Phyllis Diller.  


Set on the Isle of Evil the Baron von Frankenstein, Karloff, as head of The Worldwide Organization of Monsters invites all the classic monsters to his retirement party - they include Dracula, the Wolfman, the Invisible Man, the Mummy, Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, King Kong and Igor, inspired by Peter Lorre.  This retirement involves the Baron turning over his fantastic inventions and "secrets' to his nerdy nephew Felix.  The Baron's outrageously gorgeous secretary/assistant is outraged and plans to foil this giving away of the secrets to the nephew.  Although not really a Hallowe'en film it always played during the Holiday as I was growing up so I always think of it as a Hallowe'en film.
__________

The next two films are much more recent - "Hocus Pocus" - 1993 - starring Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy, Omir Katz and Thora Birch -


On Hallowe'en night three witches dead 300 years are brought back to life in modern day Salem and it is up to two teenagers an eight year old and an immortal Black cat to keep them from their evil plans.  I love this movie and have seen it many times.  Bette Midler absolutely steals the show at the Hallowe'en dance when she sings "I put a Spell on You" - Here is a You Tube Clip of the Midler singing the song...


___________

The last film I wanted to mention is "Sleepy Hollow" - 1999 - starring Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, Miranda Richardson, Michael Gambon, Casper Van Dien, Jeffrey Jones and Richard Griffiths. 


This truly American ghost story is a short story by Washington Irving and first published in 1820.  This version of the story uses the basic outline set down by Irving while expanding on some of the more gruesome aspects.  Set in 1799 New York, Ichabod Crane is sent to the small hamlet of Sleepy Hollow to investigate 3 murders.  The murders are all decapitations by the notorious ghost of the Headless Horseman.  As the murders escalate the story unfolds and culminates is some great action along with some twists to the story.  Here is the trailer from the film....


I really enjoy this film, on may levels.  First, the wonderful vision and touch of Tim Burton is all over this film - as Director of many fine films he brings to this film a great artistic sensibility that is top notch!!  The ensemble cast couldn't have been better - everyone is perfectly chosen and all work in unison as a group perfectly - I couldn't recommend this film highly enough!!  It is a bit gory and bloody at times, but not unnecessarily so and not too over the top.

There you go sports fans - 3 Fall/Hallowe'en films that are worth seeing anytime of the year - but are especially great treats at this time of the year.  In a week or so I will talk about Holiday films.....  I do love my Christmas movies, any suggestions???  Thanks for stopping by, do come again!

Take care,
edgar

16 comments:

  1. My favorite old time Christmas flick is "The Bell's of St. Mary's" with Bing Crosby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised Arsenic and Old Lace didn't make your list ... it is my all time favorite Halloween film!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hocus Pocus is one of my favorites too - I love anything Bette Midler is in. Originally I though SJP was an odd choice for this movie but after I saw it the first time i loved her in this part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edgar, You watch two of my favorites! I wouldn't miss Hocus Pocus,Bette Midler is so funny. I also try to watch Sleepy Hollow each Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Hocus Pocus too! "I smell Children......"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen Hocus Pocus. I'll have to check it out! I think I mentioned Love Actually. Being one of my all time faves for Christmas movies and how the opening scene reminds me of the way heaven will be when we get to see all our family and friends that have gone before. Family Stone, Little Women (Wynona Ryder version), Elf, The Santa Clause, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol (Jim Carrey version), and Polar Express which is my 2d fave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hocus Pocus is great, but I love, love, love Sleepy Hollow! I have seen it many times. Great twists in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Christmas Story (1983) is one of my favorites. Love that Ralphie. Most of Hallmark's both old and new are winners for me too. I've been making lists of your recommendations and will check my one and only rental shop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooo love the last two films and not sure if I have ever watched the first although the synopsis sounds familiar...mmmm favourite Christmas film is Muppet's Christmas carol I think ..lol love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sleepy Hollow is often overlooked but it is a great flick.
    Holiday movies would be White Christmas, Holiday Inn, and The Bishop's Wife. David Niven and Cary Grant are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We never miss Hocus Pocus on Halloween. I end up humming the little song that the character played by Sara Jessica sings, for days. Or Sleepy Hollow. I love Johnny Depp anyway! For Christmas, I must watch the Little Drummer Boy, the old version from Rankin and Bass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Better Midler and Johnny Depp, what more could you ask for :@
    LiBBiE in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great movie list Edgar. Of course I watched Hocus Pocus Saturday night.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here, in Spain se also saw Sleepy Holow and Corpse Bride. Tim Burton is a genious and Johnny Deep is... I love it!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love LOVE "Hocus Pocus". Unfortunately I did not catch it this Halloween season..but I did see Charlie Brown!!

    Christmas - too many to even begin, I think!

    Love your movie reviews, Edgar!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love "Sleepy Hollow"- your post reminded me that I don't think I have bought that one yet!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...