Monday, October 24, 2011

Seasonal Things....

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends no big quakes over the weekend - lots of little ones - but nothing that you could really feel. I guess here in the Bay area we become immune to any quake that doesn't shake the buildings.  You hear all the time about "the big one" that's coming - and not that I doubt it for a moment, I just hope it comes after my time here.  
__________

On to nicer things....  I heard from Roberta that the ornament I made her for the HOE "Words of Christmas" Ornament Exchange arrived safe and sound. Here is a snap...

"Christmas Angel" by Midsummer Night Designs
from the 2007 JCS Ornament Issue

Although I got off to a rocky start with this exchange  - I am really pleased with the way she turned out.  I have stitched her before and just love the whole design!!  It was a super Exchange and now with the HOE Ornament exchanges wrapping up with a "Stitchers Choice" it has been a great year of stitching ornaments!!

I also worked some on my "ABC Noel" - here is a snap, ignore the wrinkles!!
It is coming along nicely - I am finding small missing stitches in the chart that I am adding as I go - either they didn't make it to the chart, but appear in the picture or I like it better with my additions, whatever, it is still a great piece to work on!!
__________

On Saturday we ran around to some Estate sales, I picked up a framed Victorian print, I bought it for the frame and not the print.  I forgot to get a snap, I'll get one up in the morning.  While out and about we ran by the Mall.  Now why would we go the Mall you might ask...  for a couple of reasons - to stop off a Trader Joe's, to stop off a Macy's for a Birthday Present for my Nephew and to make a stop off at William Sanoma's.  I make a trip to WS every Fall to pick up this stuff.......


I buy this every Fall and have for years - they only carry it during the Fall and usually run out by Thanksgiving.  I keep this soap in my refillable soap thing on the kitchen sink and every time I wash my hands during the year I get a flash of Christmas and the woods -  Call me odd, call my weird but when I start to run low come August I start to get very nervous to see whether my last dribble of soap will last until I can get more!!  We also stopped to get lunch at Micky D's as they have for a limited time the.......


McRib - they hardly ever get these here in SF and when they do I must have one!!  All BBQ sauced and delicious!!
__________

I baked up a really great cake that Coni over at Spinster Stitcher posted about.  Called "Claudia's Root Beer Bundt Cake" you can click HERE to go to the recipe.  Here is a snap of mine...


The changes I made were...  to replace the allspice with some nutmeg and clove and instead of using a Bundt pan I used a tube pan and instead of butter and flour in the pan I used butter and cocoa powder, I think that turns out a nicer finish on the outside of a chocolate cake than flour.  The actual cake is a nicely dense, chocolaty, brownie type of cake that goes super with a cup of coffee!!

Thanks so much Coni for sharing this great recipe!!
__________

There you go sports fans - thanks for stopping by and for your great comments - I do love reading them!!

Take care,
edgar

24 comments:

  1. Happy new week Edgar! I love your ornament finish - the angel is so cute. Can't wait to see your frame - I picked up four this weekend at yard sales. We also stopped off at McDonald's but for breakfast. Enjoy your soap - I just love seasonal things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ornament, and your ABC Noel is coming along nicely. The cake looks absolutely scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stitching looks great! I love the ornament too. I know just what you mean about the McRib too. I must have one the minute I know they are available again. It's a guilty pleasure, what can I say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edgar: I am loving the ABC stitch you are doing it gets lovelier each time you post a picture, your exchange piece is wonderful I have all the ornament issues even the ones from many many years ago they are very different from the ones from the 2000 years.
    I too have the recipe for the cake I like your changes I shall try the changes myself, have a safe and productive week.
    Catherine
    diamondc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear from you Edgar. When you are at Trader Joe's try the Old Fashioned Cinnamon Grahams. We have a store here that sell fresh ground chocolate peanut butter. Just a bit of that on one of those graham crackers and you have a great treat! Also, love the way your ABC Christmas is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing Edgar! I love your ornament! And your ABC's are looking marvelous!! Your cake looks so delicious! When you are free and have some time on your hands send me an email...I'd like to do another exchange with you for Christmas. If you aren't able to I will completely understand. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are getting in the spirit of the season, aren't you? Getting whiffs of all those scents from here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, McRib. You know there is even a club that follows them around the country??

    I am drooling into my tea over that cake! Now I have to make it...and great idea about dusting with the cocoa powder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic ornament, Edgar! Your ABC Noel piece looks great, too--nice progress. I'm always so jealous of all the fun seasonal things you get in the US--even the soap. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very pretty ornament you stitched for Roberta and I am loving your ABC Noel and can't wait to see what motifs the next letters bring!

    I laughed at you getting nervous in case your liquid soap does not last til it's back in stock. I always stock up on certain things on our annual Florida trip in the Fall which this year has been postponed until early next year. Already my dear friend is shopping and mailing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That ornament is one of my favorites -- it came out great! Love your alphabet too -- it's looking so pretty! Interesting about that hand soap. It must smell wonderful! The cake looks so scrumptious! I didn't know McD's offered the McRib periodically. I love that sandwich! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooo cute finish :) glad you haven't had the big one yet ... and yummmm cake for me to make me feel better heheh .. love the sound of the smell of the soap :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ornament you stitched for the exchange is beautiful. Love the ABC Noel piece too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pretty angel ornament--you did a lovely job!! I use that same soap every year, too!!! I have even branched out into their other products--The counter cleaner is great and I always keep a bottle of the dishwashing liquid for the things that don't go in the dishwasher. It will make your whole kitchen smell good--I usually leave the soapy water in the sink for a while because it smells so good!! I can't believe it's already time for Winter Forest! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOO HOO! I'm so glad that you liked the cake, but may I just point out that YOURS looks absolutely delish, while mine...not so much.

    But it is rather nummy nummy nummy in the tummy tummy tummy, no?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the ornament, love the hand soap (I'll have to look for it) and really love the way the cake looks too. Glad you had a really wonderful weekend and shared with us...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful ornament! Love your ABC Noel, it's progressing well. I am having fun guessing what appear with each alphabet.

    The cake sure looks yummy!!!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drooling now! Yummy looking cake. Glad you didn't get too rattled by the latest quake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your ornament is gorgeous Edgar! I was browsing through my JCC Christmas ornament issues this weekend kitting up some ornaments for Becky's challenge. This is one that I marked to do.
    ABC Noel is really progressing nicely.
    I always drool over all the lovely things you pick up on your shopping trips!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had a full weekend. Glad you got your soap and your McRib fix. The cake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the ornament and great progress on the other piece as well!! Yummy on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute finish for the angel ornament.
    I love your ABC Noel!!!
    Happy stitching!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very lovely exchange piece. And that cake looks divine. mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really like the ornament. I'll have to pull out my JCS ornament back issues now. You are really moving along on the ABC Noel. I haven't had a McRib in years - may have to start prowling around McDs again. That cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...