Tuesday, June 8, 2010

TCM Star of the Month - Natalie Wood

GR&DF thank you for your kind comments about yesterday posting. I was looking at the BPC piece last night and wondering what to put in the two wreaths. In the original piece there are initials and a date. Although I am stitching from a chart which comes from the original I was thinking of putting things that meant something to me - any suggestions??? Scroll down and give it another look - all the other medallions and 1/2 medallions are filled - there are just the two wreaths that need something......

Last night TCM began the month long tribute to Natalie Wood - as star of the month.

1938-1981

The films they showed last night where her earliest performances - as a child and very young adult. Natalie was one of only a handful of stars that made the transition from child actor - to teen idol then American Icon. I have seen most if not all of her movies and last night I got to see a really good early film "Tomorrow is Forever" - 1946 - starring Claudette Colbert, Orson Wells, George Brent, Lucille Watson and Natalie Wood. This was not only Natalie's big break film but was also a film the redeemed Orson Wells. Claudette fought for him to play the second lead and with her star-power in 46 she got what she wanted. Until this film he was considered "difficult" to work with and had not worked for a few years - with this film he reestablished himself and went to some really great films in the late 40's and 50's. But, back to little Natalie - she plays a war orphan that has escaped from Nazi occupied Austria with her adopted father played by Wells. The oddest thing about this film is the studio had Natalie go a very light blond with her hair - it is very odd to see Natalie as a blond!! The film has a big back story that begins in WWI, but I won't go into that - It is a very good film and Colbert is just wonderful, as always!! If you get the chance you should give it a look. The star of the month films happen every Monday night starting at 8pm est (5pm pst) and next week the movies reflect her teen years beginning with - "A Cry in the Night" - 1956, "The Girl He Left Behind" - 1956, "Splendor in the Grass" - 1961, "Rebel Without a Cause" - 1955 and wrapping up the evening with "The Burning Hills" - 1956.

That's about it for today sports fans - thanks for stopping by. Do come again!!

Take care,
edgar


5 comments:

  1. Initials are what comes to mind for the BP Companion Quaker. Have you done anything where you put the initials and birth dates or
    wedding dates of your grandparents,
    parents, etc.? I always want the dates and initials on a piece to mean something personally and not just copy the chart. It's a lovely piece....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My plans for my BPC are to add the initials of my family - mother, grandmother, sons. I always try to work in some personal little bit in my samplers to make them my own. Your BPC is really beautiful - great choice of floss and linen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I think the wreaths look like they just need a fancy single letter in them....not sure what you would choose to represent though....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Natalie Wood when I was young.Thanks for reminding her to me too.Ariadne from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't she absolutely breath-taking, Ms. Wood! Love reading your blog, Edgar...

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...