Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Movie Post

GR&DF thank you all for the kind comments and warms wishes. I am at about 92% power this morning. I am taking off 8% because I still have a cough and my voice is a bit Brenda Vaccaro sounding, but I feel soooooo much better it is like night and day. Just to think a week ago I was completely out of it buried in bed an blurry eyed. Now I sit typing away stringing together words and thoughts. The power of feeling better!!

Since I was working on an exchange last night there is not snaparoo of stitching - and probably will not be for the next few days - being sick has completely thrown me off my schedule to get things finished. I have two deadlines this week and may only meet one of them. Loosing 6 stitching/finishing days has thrown me for a loop - or made me loopier??
I guess thems the breaks.

So today I think I will catch up on some of the filckers I have seen in the past week - first up will be - "Good Hair" - 2009 - starring Chris Rock - he interviews celebrities and documents Black hair in America. Being folically challenged as I am - I was fascinated by some of things I learned. I really enjoyed this film but it has gotten some really bad press - you decide for yourself. "The War Lover" - 1962 - starring Steve McQueen and Robert Wagner - set in 1942 WWII England, they play very different types of airmen - McQueen a rough and ready maverick type and Wagner and by the book type - and then there is a girl that comes between them. Very well done in B&W with some actual WWII footage. Next up would have to be "Summertime" - 1955 - starring Katharine Hepburn and Rassano Brazzi - a great movie I have talked about before - this love story about an American visiting Venice and meeting one special Venetian. I would highly recommend it if for the acting and for the cinematography. Venice is beautifully shot and captured on film by Director David Lean. Last up would have to be "The Barrett's of Wimpole Street" - 1934 - starring Norma Shearer, Charles Laughton, Frederic March, Maureen O'Sullivan and Una O'Connor. This is a film from a stage play and is melodramatic in the extreme. The film is about the love story between Elizabeth Barret and Robert Browning. It is also about the tyrannical control of the family by the father played by Laughton. In the end it is Shearer's performance one watches and it is for her you cheer - another of her fine performances. Tonight TCM is showing "Gigi" - 1958 - starring Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier, Louis Jourdan and Hermione Gingold. A beautiful film with some memorable music - on the East coast it begins at 11:15pm and on the West at 8:15pm.

There you go sports fans. Thank you for stopping by, do come again!!

Take care,
edgar

9 comments:

  1. I'm sure your deadlines will be extended.
    I hope you recover fully really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it were me, I wouldn't mind the extension in the least! You're a really great exchange partner, Edgar, and I always enjoy seeing the pics of the packages you send!! Makes me feel like I got them too (which I actually did at Valentines'! How lucky am I!)

    Glad to hear you are so well-recovered; it seems to me that when a cold lasts more than "a weekend" it often goes ahead and drags on for 2+ weeks! Seems like there's not an in-between duration. Or, perhaps that's just me.

    We've been watching olympics streamed from the 'net here 'n there (we don't have any tv service at all, and can't even pick up local channels as we don't have an antenna!), but I think I need to find some movies to watch soon! Maybe I'll pick out a few classics (It's been a while since I've seen "In the Good Old Summertime", and for some reason I want to again! I grew up on Judy, but only her more cheerful and less "downward spiral" days. How sad I was to learn upon grown up the tragic ending to her life's tale. :(

    Looking forward to the big reveal for exchanges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are feeling better. I missed the movie reviews. :)

    Love Gigi. It has always been one of my favs.

    I am sure if you let the exchange people know you have been ill no one will hold it against you. hey, it happens to the best of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that you are feeling better!

    I am sure that anyone on the receiving end of something from you would not mind if it were a little late - from what I have seen, your exhchanges are fabulous!

    As always - I love your movie reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're feeling much better today :)

    DH and I watched a couple Netflix movies last week and thought I'd share with you. First we watched "The Hurt Locker", which has been all the buzz. I still haven't decided if I liked it or not. I'm sure it was a very realistic portrayal of what it's like in Iraq and what our boys are dealing with. Our nephew spent 3 tours over there and we thank God he is back in the States now, safe and sound.

    The other movie we saw was, "Freedom Writer's" with Hilary Swank. What a wonderful movie!! It's a true story and all I can say is...thank God for teachers like her!! My DH was raised in CA and the school system was sorely lacking in providing the basic reading programs, much less anything else because the schools were so crowded and they were growing so fast that teachers couldn't keep up. He saw first hand about these divisions of cultures in school. It's a worthwhile movie to watch...just keep a box of kleenex handy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure whoever will be the recipients of your exchanges will not mind in the least receiving their pieces late knowing they are coming from you, because I sure wouldn't mind in the least.

    I am just glad that you are feeling better.
    Lots of Love
    Patti xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. May you be 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edgar, glad to see you are feeling better. Seems like everyone you talk too has something!!

    Take care and have a better week.

    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I was the only one old enough to remember Brenda Vaccaro!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...