Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Remembering on Flag Day

Gentle Friends, whenever I think of the American Flag I think of the flag that flew over Fort McHenry and inspired Francis Scott Key to write the poem that became the national anthem....

... the flag now resides in the National Museum of American History on of the 11 Smithsonian's on the Mall... in my younger days, growing up in Maryland I remember School trips to both Fort McHenry ...

Fort Mchenry National Monument Fort mchenry national monument

...and to the NMAH so I've seen both the flag and were it flew... something I've never forgotten....  you can click HERE top read more about the flag ....  when I saw it many, many, many, years ago, it was actually hanging, now it is installed laying down at an angle to better preserve the fabric of the flag....
__________________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

9 comments:

  1. Would love to see this in person. I love the American flag and everything it stands for. Thank you for posting this.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. II love the fact you featured the American flag. I feel much the same as Paula who posted previously. Long may our flag wave!





    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting! I didn't know about this and would love to see it in person. Thank you for sharing the link, too. Great info!

    Blessings - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't realize you were a former Marylander. I too am one and have fond memories of Fort McHenry and the Smithsonian museums. I was lucky to see the exhibit back in the early 2000's where you could see how they were restoring the original Star Spangled Banner--very moving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the flag you can see that it clearly had a rough night - and it makes the words of the song far more poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your blog and enjoy your journey and of course your stitching! I grew up in Rockville and of course went on many school trips to DC. Where did you go to High School? small world isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see this flag in person; thank you for sharing it and your memories in this post. I didn't realize how much of the flag has been lost over the years. I'm so glad there's an active attempt at preserving it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have visited THE FLAG. It is inspirational. When our boys were still at home one of the historical vacations was seeing DC and also Ft. McHenry. Our vacations with the kids had always some historical part. We live in a great country!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post for Flag Day! I really enjoyed hearing about the history.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...