Monday, January 8, 2024

A Little Stitchin' and a Little Christmas

Gentle Friends, for some reason I've just not gotten the rhythm of this stitch and it's been some slow going... here's a snaperoo...


...I'm not sure why... I like the floss colors, I like the linen... I like the chart (it's very clear)... but ya'know when you get in that zone and it's all poke pull poke pull... that's just not happened with this piece... yet.  I think it's all about when I made the start of this piece.  Right in the middle of all the goings on around Christmas and the Holidays and now with it all wrapping up... this past weekend we (the Bell Choir) played at the Ephiphany Services yesterday morning for both the 8am & 10am Masses.  Things will start to get back to normal sooner than later and it'll all be fine.

 Since I'm still dwelling on Christmas, here's a shot from our Christmas dinner with friends...

...and remembering how I was out of commission and hot off the operating table last Christmas there was no Birthday/Christmas Cake for 2022, Rico can bake bread but cake is not his in his wheelhouse.  This year I stepped up to the plate, and here's a snap of the cake...

... if you've been following along on this here Blog for a while, "yule" remember one of my oldest Christmas traditions since I was a toddler back in Mississippi is to have for dessert on Christmas Day, a birthday cake for baby Jesus, reminding us all the reason for the season and making it a little less Santa Claus, but I digress... so through the years as we grew up and celebrated Christmas, my mom made all kinds of cakes.  Since her passing, I've kept up this tradition and have been making the Christmas/Birthday cakes... this year I made an Italian Cream Cake, what is Italian about this cake is far beyond my knowledge but I jazzed it up a bit with a filling between each layer of key lime curd. That little addition elevated this buttercream, pecan, and coconut concoction quite a bit and gave it a super citrus bite!! 
______________________

That's about it for today sports fans.  Thanks for stopping by do stop again.  Stay Safe!

Good Thoughts! Good Words! Good Deeds!
edgar

11 comments:

  1. When I can't find that stitchy "zone," I usually will pick up my hook instead or force myself to do some ffo'ing. I'm sure you'll get back there sooner rather than later. Oh, that cake sounds and looks AMAZING! I love to bake and bake quite a bit but don't usually do cakes since it's just me, and there aren't too many cakes on the small side.... (Not that I couldn't probably eat an entire cake...but that's another subject altogether LOL). Happy Monday Edgar! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to bake also, but turning out lots of goodies I used to be able to bring the eats into the office and foist the treats on co-workers, but since we've given up the office and I've been working from home for the last couple of years I've cut way back unless there's folks around to either eat it up or take some in togo bags...

      Delete
  2. Your sampler is looking good for not being in the zone, Edgar. The cake looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually have several projects going at the same time. When I get bored with one I switched and that keeps me in the mood. I love Italian cream cake and the idea of having a birthday cake for Jesus is just grand. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Edgar: Love the design and thread colors.
    You really know how to set a beautiful table, stunning.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the pics Edgar always look forward to these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pattern and the colours are really cute.. hope you are able to get into it
    That cake looks just divine. Happy New Year to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cake makes everything extra special. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Edgar, after a long time a short note from ermany. I know this cake and it is called "Spiced Coconut Cake". Haven't made it for a long time. Thank you for reminding me for this cake. Have a great year, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad I found your blog. What are your Christmas dinner plates? They are so beautiful. Thank you and have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been collecting 19th century transferware for years, this pattern is called "The Sea" from Adams, circa 1835. They are a great red color so work well for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

A Quick Post

 Gentle Friends, I forgot to post last night so it'll be short and sweet this morning... here's a snaperoo... ...stitching on the ce...