Thursday, April 12, 2018

A Little Thrifting

Gentle Friends, it's been quite a while since I posted any fun finds I've picked up running around the City.... the real reason is that there's' been a dearth of things to buy!!  I looked back at my Posts and it's been like over a month.... so here are the few fun things I found...


... so here ya go... I found the early Victorian mahogany letterbox in the baskets section at a Goodwill - and after I picked my jaw up off the ground - I thought about it, I really didn't need it or have much room for something like this but it was marked $2.99 so how could I not buy it!! After I got it home, polished it up... it turned out to be a lovely piece of wood and totally handmade!!  Who just gives stuff like this away, I ask myself!!


... and I have a really hard time passing on old pieces of porcelain... and most of the time I really restrain myself... but the mid 19th century scalloped plate with the hand-painted transferware is a super piece and really unusual... the great little gold lined Royal Worcester demitasse cup and saucer is a lovely shade of green and the pate sur pate dot decoration is superb!  The rimmed saucer with a pretty magenta transfer and silver luster was only .99 so I had to rescue this late 18th early 19th-century piece from oblivion!!  I found the great Russian laquered box last week and since I'm a real sucker for them, it came to my house to live!! 

There you go sports fans, thanks for stopping by dos top again!!

Take care,
edgar

10 comments:

  1. Love the letter box! I think they used to be a pretty common thing when I was growing up. I remember several family members having them. I would love to find one....an older one though ( I don't know if they are even made anymore). I always look at the china when I go thrifting but I absolutely have no room for any more pieces so like you I restrain from purchasing. Who knows what "great finds" I've let slip by. The green cup and saucer is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My jaw dropped at the stationery file before you told the story.. love
    at first glance...If ever you dare part with it, you have my address..
    Great find...and oh, that Russian box. You can always find space for
    that...right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the same issues around here in NC because there hasn't been anything good since the first of the year. I even hit my favorites again today but came away empty handed. Oh well I'll never be able to top the 7 framed antique samplers for $700 last year! I've been researching them and traced one young girl's uncle served under President Washington during Revolutionary War.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That letter box is a great find!! I can't believe the price!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing letterbox, what a treasure that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best luck with your thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your thrifting finds are amazing. Maybe I just can't see what is in front of my face or maybe I am afraid I am wasting my money in my ignorance. I love that letter holder and the green cup and saucer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds! I LOVE the letterbox; you have a great eye for treasures, Edgar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your thrifty posts! I am a sucker for lacquer boxes and anything porcelain too, just love them!! Every time we visit the departmental stores, I simply walk by the porcelain section just to see all the beautiful things :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That letter box is amazing! So beautiful! I agree - who in the world just gives this stuff away? Aren't you glad they do, though? ;) I love your other pieces, as well, and as I've told you before, we have the same tastes so I'm coveting all your lovely finds! lol

    Blessings - Julie

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...