Friday, November 20, 2015

Christmas Cakin'

Gentle Friends, I started on the "Christmas Cake" last night - I got my scale out - and the dried fruit and chopped up everything that needed chopping, hauled out the liquor and......


... a big wooden spoon then stir, stir, stir.......  now, I'll stir this once a day, every evening until Sunday ..... when I'll mix up the cake and bake that sucker.   

After reading numerous CC recipes there seemed to be no real consensus about how long to soak the fruit, from a month to a quick boil up the day you bake it.  I think three days will be sufficient.  There was also no consensus regarding the types and amounts of fruit to use, so I went shopping with this statement in my head...  "If I won't put it in my mouth I won't put it in my cake."  So my fruit medley consists of four type of raisins (Black, Flame and Golden) and Currents (another raisin BTW), candied Pineapple, Cranberries, Dates and some Prunes....  I was going to also include some apricots, but they didn't look appetizing at either store I went to so they were left out.  I also wavered between Bourbon and Rum, finally going with Rum.
________________

That about wraps up the week, and now we're looking Thanksgiving square in the face.....  I've set my menu, and shopping list.  I'll start polishing silver and get a move on my cranberry sauce Sunday so it has time to "mature" before Thursday........  Have a super weekend and thanks for stopping by dos top again!!

Take care,.
edgar

6 comments:

  1. is it possible to post the recipe
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering! I like your thinking "if I wouldn't put it in my mouth, I'm not putting it in my cake." Letting your cranberry sauce mature--what does this mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds. Like your plans are moving along beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that cake turns out just the way you want it to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like everything is set and your cake will be amazing...how could it not! I can't wait to see the finish.
    Have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving kiddo
    Hugs
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have been very sick but hope to shop for my fruit today! Still baffled by the positive horde of recipes clashing with my dearth of fruitcake-making experience. Even just limiting myself to King Arthur Flour's site--there are a dozen recipes and two with "favorite" in the title. I'm feeling set on Grand Mariner for the liquor though. (I love soaking raisins in it and having them over good chocolate ice cream.) I do wonder if I shouldn't use rum though instead humrrmmnnnn....

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...