Tuesday, August 10, 2010

HOE "For the Birds Exchange" and some other stuff

GR&DF - If it weren't for the weekend time off to de-stress what would we do?? Those two little days seem to just fly by.

When I got into the office yesterday I found a package had arrived Friday after I had left - I opened it up to find a beautifully stitched pin pillow from Janet. Here are some snaps....

The pattern is called "Fancy Peacocks Cupboard Pin Keep" - stitched on Janet's own dyed 28ct linen it is just beautiful - I love the primitive palette - Stacy has so many great designs.

The detail cross stitches along the edges is a perfect touch.

As are the lovely old buttons attached to the front. On the side the piece it is dated and initialled - Thank you again for this super piece - it is already with my other stitching treasures and looks great!! My piece for the exchange has quite a way to go and has not arrived - but fingers are crossed for a safe arrival.

I had a few requests and even more emails for the muffin recipe - I acquired it from the AllRecipes website - a great resource and jumping off point for some nice recipes. The "Donut Muffin" recipe was submitted by Dianne and couldn't be easier -

Donut Muffins - makes 12

1/2 c white sugar
1/4 c margarine (melted)
3/4 teas ground nutmeg
1/2 c milk
1 teas Baking Powder
1 c all-purpose Flour

1/4 c margarine (melted)
1/2 c white sugar
1 teas cinnamon

1 - Preheat oven 375 degrees. Grease 12 mini-muffin cups

2 - Mix 1/2 c sugar, 1/4 melted margarine, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in milk. Sift together flour and baking powder - then mix into the sugar/ milk mixture until just combined. Fill prepared mini-muffin cups 3/4 full.

3 - Bake in preheated oven until tops are lightly golden, 15-20 mins

4 - While muffins are baking, put melted margarine in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix together 1/2 c sugar and cinnamon. When muffins are done remove form baking pan and while they are still warm dip into the melted margarine then roll in the sugar/cinnamon mixture. let cool and serve.


That's the basic recipe - I doubled it and came out with 2 1/2 dozen mini-muffins. I was also going to replace the nutmeg with cardamon but I was out - I do love nutmeg but I think that cardamon would be very good also. I think when I make them again - and I will as they are easy and tasty- I would add a little vanilla and a pinch of salt to the mix. I like recipes that are made from things I already have in the kitchen cupboards!!

Last night I worked on an upcoming exchange piece and little on a new start - I'll show the new piece in a day or two. Right now it is pretty pathetic looking.

The flicker for last night was a Disney film that I had not seen - "Treasure Planet" - 2002 - This was an animated version of the Robert Louis Stevenson story "Treasure Island" - I thoroughly enjoyed. I know that some of the more recent Disney offerings are not as good as they could be - this piece was really very good. Staying very close to the original story but moving the setting to outer space really worked. The visuals are top notch. A great retelling of a super story. Another great version of this story is "Treasure Island" - 1934 - starring Wallace Beery, Jackie Copper and Lionel Barrymore - directed by Victor Fleming you don't get much better than this for live action and great story telling!!

There you go sports fans! Thanks again for stopping by and for the kind comments!

Take care,
edgar

12 comments:

  1. Love your exchange piece from Janet!

    Thanks for the recipe, I might give that a go later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling exchange. Love this design.
    I remember Treasure Planet. My son had the pirate costume from the main character. So fun, he wore it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The exchange pillow is beautiful. I've nade those muffins and they really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that beuatiful birdie from Janet. The colors are wonderful. Thank you for the "royal package" that arrived yesterday. Totally enjoying these mags.
    Reading back on a few previous posts---I too graduated in '82 also and I must admit I own the "Preppy Handbook". I also own the companion scrapbook/photo album! Shame on me. Just reading the names of those old songs and I am transported back thru the decades. Too bad that white mini skirt doesn't fit anymore.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both yesterday and today were great posts, Edgar. Those produce snaps! The Cauliflower!! There aren't many things I'm allowed to eat on this detox, but cauliflower is one of the bunch! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous SN ornament exchange, but don't tempt me on the muffins LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate the recipe - I know they must be delicious!
    Love the peacocks! I am supposing that you are still basking in the cool temps while we are under a high heat alert! This is what I get for complaining about the cold during the winter months...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice surprise to find at the office on a Monday! Beautiful! Thanks for the donut muffin recipe. I'm giving it to my DH asap. lol! Never saw Treasure Planet or Treasure Island. I'm surprised about the first one since I have a son. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pin pillow is super. Thanks for sharing the muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to make the donut muffins as they will be a lot less calories than fried donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am lol about the muffins! I baked those same muffins on Sunday, with very little variation if any, and I've had the recipe for like 30 years! I don't ever make them mini..just wanted to try out my new mini-muffin pan--Beret mentioned you had made some. Small world..yummy muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bird pillow from Janet! It's darling. Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it one day!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...