Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mail and Magazines

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends thank you so much for your kind words about the ornament I made for Kayona.  It was a fun piece to stitch and finish!!
_____________

Yesterday the mail brought two super packages....

The first package was my ornament for the HOE Exchange....

... from Janet over at Home Sweet Home.  She adapted a poinsettia from the BBD 2011 LF Winter Sampler, and it is just gorgeous!!!!  It is stitched on Graziano linen using Belle Soie silk
______________

I was one of the winners over at Victorian Motto's - It was a Birthday Gift-a-way that Nancy was holding!!! - and I was sent 4 skeins of beautiful floss.....

... are these lovely colours for Fall!!
______________

Yesterday after work we headed to South SF City to make four stops (that turned into five stops)  The first stop was at Michael's.  I am kitting out a French chart that is charted for DMC and I didn't want to pull from completed collection, there are about 30 colours.  I grabbed a basket and headed to their very small cross stitch area and found that a majority of the little box-spots for floss where completely empty and those that did have a few skeins of floss were a complete jumble..... so it was on to target for a few things.....and then a quick stop at Carter's children shop to get some things for Rico's great nephew.  Then it was on to the next stop......  we headed up to Pet Smart for the puppy cookies we were after and then turned around and hit Joann's on the way back home  - they had all the colours I needed except for two - they have also jacked the price of a skein to .39 - just a month or so ago the price was hovering at about .34 - it is what it is guess!!  I still need to make a trip over to Needle in a Haystack for a piece of blue linen, but this is a project for next year so there is no hurry. Two things I had no intention of buying.....


The September Vogue at Target and the JCS Hallowe'en Issue at Joann's.  I always buy the September Issue of Vogue... but, I was not intending to get the Hallowe'en Issue - I changed my mind after browsing quickly through the projects, some of them look really cute.
_________________

I am running out of time this morning so the recipe will have to wait until tomorrow.  Have a great one!!! - and - thanks for stopping by!

Take care,
edgar

19 comments:

  1. Wow! That poinsettia really does look georgeous - must look even better in person - lucky you! I also have the JCS Halloween magazine - it really is a fun issue - I've already stitched up the Praire Schooler design - YeoW! I have posted a picture of it on my blog if you wanna go check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ornament is lovely! What a beautiful gift! I made it out to Needle In A Haystack on my recent trip to the Bay area. That is one great store. Thanks for mentioning it in previous posts.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what's up with Michael's. Our local store has been running low on thread for months. It's right down the street from our house and convenient... but not if they don't have any in stock! Fortunately, Walmart started carrying DMC thread again. They're right down the street too, so I'm switching to them. Our nearest Joann's or Hobby Lobby is 30 minutes away so I'm glad Walmart has come to the rescue. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We usually always have DMC in stock at the Jo Ann's where I work...Arizona...still, .39 cents is not too bad...I try to grab extras when we have the sales. The exchange piece looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've received a beautiful ornament, the colours are amazing on this one, i really must try some Belle Soire threads. Your thread price sounds fine to me compared to here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the exchange you received! What a bummer about the DMC! I'm totally envious that you have a complete collection of threads. I definitely wouldn't want to use threads from that! I have two choices when it comes to getting DMC -- AC Moore and Michael's. I need to go buy some soon actually!

    ReplyDelete
  7. some really pretty pieces edgar. lucky you

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful ornament! And congratulations on your floss win : ) I have the same problems with the Michael's in Lexington. Some of the DMC is missing from the bins & the rest of it is in a big jumble. Things are kept up at Hobby Lobby so I try to get what I need there. Our local Walmart started offering DMC again but they don't have all the colors. I'm not a Halloween person so I pass by that JCS issue but I have to ask ... why do you always buy the September Vogue?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lovely ornament you have received. Congrats on the win, it's gorgeous looking floss. Sorry you had so much trouble buying DMC. I usually buy online as locally it's over $1 per skein here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your gifts are beautiful, I love those fall colors. I would say Michael's should worry about the competition from Wal-mart but their selection here is no better. I couldn't find two colors I was looking for at either place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the Victorian Motto threads are "to dye for" - ha-ha! Tuly love those colors. And what a wonderful gift you received too. I've been flipping thru the Halloween mag as well - lately I seem to find more Halloween stitches I like than Christmas stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have to get some of those beautiful threads. The fall colors are quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on winning. And the darling ornament is a real beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So that's where the hot weather went! It left us here in Vancouver! That's okay though, 34 is too much for me. Love your exchange you received and gorgeous fall threads from Nancy! I love her threads! Oooh the new Sept. Vogue is out...must go buy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The poinsettia ornament is lovely and the autumn coloured threads are just gorgeous.
    39c a skein sounds pretty cheap compared to what they sell it for in England

    ReplyDelete
  16. That ornament is fabulous. I love that motf from the overall design.
    I think the Halloween issue has a lot of great projects in it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely exchange piece!! Bet that will be perfect on your Christmas tree this year. I can't find a single Halloween issue at my local bookstores...don't know if they sold out or never recieved them this year. Looking forward to the recipe post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And congrats on the win at Victorian Motto...Nancy has the most beautiful threads and trims!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great fall display. I would keep mine up year round and let them collect real spider webs if the family wouldn't moan about it!

    BTW - the Plum Street Sampler chart is missing from the JCS magazine. Don't they proofread? Anyway, you will need to go to their site and print off a copy. It is the tombstone in the front row on the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...