Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thrifty Thursday

Gentle Friends, last Saturday was an alright day for our usual thrifting....I thought it would be a bust, but then towards the end I found a few things.... here's a snap......

from l to r I found a great old sterling bowl made by Dominick and Haff c. 1929, a set of 4 sterling shakers from M. Fred Hirsch and Co c. 1935, two books and Vol 3 DVD set of Aqua Teen.  The silver pieces were completely tarnished when I bought them and after I got home I polished them up.... here are a couple of snaps to illustrate.....

....  mostly gone, the tarnish was pretty bad on the bowl, and the black spots were a bear to get off......

... the shakers were pretty bad ,and there was even salt left in a couple of them (never a good thing to find in silver) which caused quite a bit of black and green tarnish, there were still not really polished to full luster when I took this snap, but you get the idea.
______________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

11 comments:

  1. Love those shakers. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edgar - The Uncommon Reader is a little gem of a book - hope you enjoy it - Alan Bennett is a bit of a nation treasure.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your finds - have your read "The uncommon Reader?" If not, you will love it...very cute and quirky story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww i love all your finds so much x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just adding my praise for The Uncommon Reader. I've read it twice now. Once when it first came out and the second when I was in a reading slump - did the job well and got me back into reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done an amazing job with that silver! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the silver! What do you use to polish it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edgar ~ I notice you use Wright's
    OK - but when we lived in England
    I discovered Silvo (makers of Brasso) and that is what keeps English silver looking so elegant.
    Difficult to find, but can be located in the U.S. Your taste in
    Saturday foraging is great....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always amazed at the amount of silver you find when thrifting. I am also amazed at your patience with the polishing. I love polished silver but I am not so patient with the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wonderful treasures! I too score a few gems that I must post about. The shop owner told me about the Wright's Polish...I recognize it in your photo ~ works great!

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...