Thursday, July 17, 2014

Dad's Pepper Jelly

Gentle Friends, finally got computer issues under control and can Post once again.  I finally got the Pepper Jelly were I want it and so feel quite confident about the recipe - not that its hard to make, but I wanted to be sure....

Here are the jars of jelly I made - I'll probably got back and make some mare, can one ever have enough jelly to snack on or gift away when we winter rolls around and fresh peppers are out of season??

.. this actually represents two batches, I wouldn't try to double the jell making as that often doesn't work.  Here's the recipe I followed - it's a modified recipe of my dads and there are lots on the Internet that all are about the same.....

Pepper Jelly

6 C White Sugar
12/13 good sized Jalapenos
4 Green Bell Peppers, 1 Red Bell Pepper
2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2  4oz Packs Liquid Pectin 
10 to 12 drops Green Food Colour

Remove all the seeds and membranes from the peppers and finely chop.  Into a saucepan that will hold everything - pout the sugar, vinegar and all the peppers.  You can adjust the peppers to your taste, I like it on the hot side so I use more peppers but you can cut them back to 8 or 9 for a less intense jelly.  Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil - let boil a good 10 minutes, stirring to keep it under control and not bubbling over.  Take off the heat and add the pectin - stir in and return to heat and bring back to a boil - for at least a minute.  Take off the heat and test to see if it is as thick as you like - I do this buy having a spoon in ice cold water handy  and dipping this cold spoon into the jelly and seeing where it is for thickness.  If it's where you want it - take it off the heat and stir in the colour - this is just to get it green since the real jelly is a sort of amberish colour and not very pretty - it doesn't change the way it tastes.  Now put into your prepared jars and process them in a water bath for about 10 minutes or so et voila homemade pepper jelly that doesn't cost $6 for a tiny jar!  Properly processed this jelly will keep for 7 or so months in a cool dark place.

This was the first time out for me making Pepper jelly and it was way easier than the peach or cherry jams I've made in the past - and the memories flood over me as I stand over the hot stove stirring the jelly of my dad and his annual Jelly making season.  I think I told you before he made dozens and dozens of jars of this jelly every year and it was his "thing" to give at Christmas, as were Mississippi Mud Cakes my mom made a gave away every year. 

For dinner the other day we had some biscuits and I popped a jar of jelly.....

... it was pretty terrific if I do say so myself!!
__________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

11 comments:

  1. Oh my...looks so delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepper jelly is good on top of cream cheese too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you dear..its very nice..x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! There is nothing better than a toasted biscuit slathered in butter and jelly. Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my Daddy eats his pepper jelly with cream cheese on a Ritz cracker...I love this stuff and I may have to give my hand a try at this! Thank you sweet Edgar for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks scrumptious on the toasted biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very tempting, but I have to admit that when a friend gave me a jar of pepper jelly I could never eat it. Something about the way it looks - green... scary. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Edgar, I had a neighbor in MD who made this and it was soooo delicious. I am wondering if yours is "hot" or is it the sweet pepper jelly that she made?
    I like the sweet pepper jelly. I have never made jelly but looking at the pic of those jars makes me want to try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe...family recipes are always the best!

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...