Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Stuffin' Shells......

Gentle Friends, how about a dish inspired by the Frugal Gourmet .  I used to make it frequently, and since the mild Italian sausage was on sale this weekend I decided to make a pan of Stuffed Shells.  Here ya' go......

Stuffed Shells

1 to 1 1/2 lbs of mild Italian sausage - browned with some chopped garlic and crumbled
2 eggs
1 package frozen chopped spinach
1 1/2 cups drained large curd cottage cheese or ricotta
1/2 box large shells - cooked al dente
1 jar sauce - or store bought or homemade
Grated Mozzarella cheese
_________

Cook the shells.....


Mix together first 4 ingredients.....

I like to use cottage cheese instead of ricotta, I also drain and rinse off the whey before adding - you can also add at this point some Parmesan cheese to the mix or leave it out ( if I have some I add it)

Spread a layer of sauce in the bottom of your pan and then start filling the shells......

I usually cook the entire box of shells to make sure I get enough whole shells - I use a Corning roaster pan to make this in, as it is shallow enough for a single layer.

When the pan is full spread the remaining sauce over the shells and then cover in grated cheese. 


 I then cover the pan with foil and cook in a 325 degree over for about 30 minutes until it is hot and bubbly - then remove the foil and brown the cheese, that takes a couple of minutes .......

... I let it sit for a few minutes and the serve with a salad - it freezes well and is even better the next day for lunches.


_______________________


That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

13 comments:

  1. Holy smokes that looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stuffed shells, and yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooohmyyyyygooodness, that looks so yummy!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I have all the Frugal Gourmet books. My son used to love watching that show as he ate when he was a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh that looks wonderful!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy! I love anything stuffed and especially with spinach AND cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love the Frugal Gourmet! Gosh I miss him. Him and the Galloping Gourmet. I'm dating myself. lol! Thanks for the recipe! Which book was this in? I'm bookmarking this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! I I used to watch that show, miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this would be great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There you have it! Supper on the ol' menu for next week! THANK YOU EDGAR!

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...