Friday, February 22, 2013

I Got A Delivery from Florida....

Gentle Friends sorry to have been off the Blog for a couple of days.  I was almost sick - by that I mean I was still up a moving about but felt like hot crap on a stick!!!  I was a sneezing, dripping, watery eyed mess, lets just say "it wernt pretty!!"  I've not stitched a stitch since Monday, I did however decide on my next start, that's a little something at least.  I had to order some silk, so I will not be showing that until I actually begin it, but, I have my needle and linen ready to go!!
___________

Yesterday I got my delivery of things from my Mom's, and it was, to say the least on the odd side.  Odd, to see me Mom's stuff unloaded at my house, odd, to unpack and remember were the things sat in her house - in Florida and Maryland... just odd all around.  It was the same way with my Granny's things when I got those, and still is when I start to think about the "stuff."  I guess that's why we "hoard" our family treasures - they are just things, but they are things that connect us to the past and to those that are gone.  Enough of that... here are some snaps...



This little Renaissance Revival side chair was bought new in 1876 and sat in the Parlour of the then just built Farrar-Martin House - 500 Trade Street, Tarboro NC  (it no longer stands)  In the early 1930's my great aunt Mary decided to redo and redecorate the very high style Victorian rooms...... so out went all the original furniture bought for the house when it was built in 1876, all to the trash heap - and in came loads of Colonial Revival stuff.  My grand mother Margie, Mary's sister, rescued this chair and took it home to Greenville NC.  When she passed in 1958, my Mom took it (not without a fight from Aunt Mary contending that it was "just a loan" and "really wasn't tossed out on the heap")  My mom was a tough old bird even then and so the chair went with her to Norfolk VA, then onto Oxford MS, then to Upper Marlboro MD... then to Ormond Beach now it sits at my house in San Francisco.

This ladies rocker is the mate to the gentleman's Morris chair (I also have that) that belonged to my Great Grandmother Davis - the set started off as a wedding preset in 1882 and went from upstate NY to Galesville Wisconsin in 1887 - then in about 1900 came south to Tarboro, NC, in 1947 when they broke up her house it went to Norfolk VA - to my Great Uncle Wilson's - then my Great Aunt Sue sent it to my Mom were it's path coincided with the little side chair, MD, FL, CA.

This is a painting my Mom bought about 1980 - it is by one of the Florida Highwaymen,Harold Newton - The Highwaymen are a school of painters that has become really famous.  I have always liked this painting as it reminds me of how the Tomoka River looks in the morning - and this type of scene is getting more and more rare and hard to find with all building going on in North Central Florida.

 After unpacking one of the dish packs - my dinning room table (also from my mom's, but originally from my Great Grandmother Warren's house) looks like a yard sale!!

There is lots more stuff, my second bedroom is piled high, so this weekend will be spent sifting through things and putting it all away, the best I can.

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by - have a super weekend and do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

23 comments:

  1. Sorry you are felling poorly ....your Mom had some beautiful things...go easy sorting out...don't overdo yourself...love the rocker..looks uncomfortable but great carving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you know the history of the pieces! They look to be in excellent condition, too. Enjoy finding a place for all the treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon deary..
    Love the sweet things so much
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gosh, it must be so neat to have pieces of furniture that have such a history attached to them from your family. I have no furniture like that that I know of. So beautiful too. Sorry you're been unwell. And yes, I hear you on the memories attached to things. But that's why they are precious. Good luck storing things away. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you're feeling better. The chairs and painting are stunning and it's wonderful you know the history. Do I see vaseline class candlesticks on your table?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you haven't been feeling well Edgar. Get well soon!
    Just beautiful treasures from you mom, and treasured memories as well!
    Have a great weekend of sorting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed seeing your family treasures and heirlooms. I agree with
    Margaret that it is special to know the background to many of the pieces. What special pieces did your sister choose? I know it must have been
    hard to part with other things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Edgar, what gorgeous pieces! I love the light in the painting - it's captivating. I only have a couple of things from my grandmother and they are so precious as I know these are to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edgar, you now have some wonderful family treasures!! The things you have are beautiful and I'm sure quite valuable. Hope you feel better soon. I think we all have had some kind of "crap" or another!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're starting to feel better - there are a lot of nasty bugs going around this winter. What wonderful family treasures and great stories to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending feel better soon wishes your way. What a wonderful array of this and that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rocker is so beautiful Edgar, something that I have always wanted but yet to find the right one.

    The family history behind the furniture makes each piece so special.

    Hope you are feeling better soon and ready to start your new sampler when your supplies arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do hope you are feeling better, Edgar! Oh my goodness ~ what cherished things from your mom ~ and how wonderful that you know the history behind those chairs. Hope that the storing of things and finding everything a place goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Edgar, the Florida Highway Men are my very favorites. Treasure your painting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you've been feeling "puny".

    The furniture, etc. is very nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy having them and the memories they conjure although for now you loss is still pretty "raw".

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, Edgar ... what great pieces of furniture you have. It is wonderful that you also have the stories of each piece. Yes, "things" are just "things" unless they are an important part of our history and our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Edgar, the Florida Highwaymen are some of my very favorite regional painters. Enjoy you Florida treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many beautiful things, the rocker is really gorgeous. Take care and get healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. And whar a delivery it was. Those chairs are stunning. Thank heavens they are rescued and have a wonderful new home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such treasures; such memories - thanks for sharing Edgar!
    Feel well soon x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it is wonderful that the ladies rocker is back with its mate, its strange how some things are just meant to be.

    I hope you are now fully recovered, i'm looking forward to seeing what your new project will be... you are such a tease not telling lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your delivery reminded me of mine, some time ago... But I did not have the history behind it, like you do. Somethings I just wondered... like the longhorns piece... that had to have been a 'find' for my Uncle, versus something handed down to my father's sister! She was way too delicate! And we have not texas roots! Ah well, the mysteries of life! Hope you are feeling totally better now! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...