Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Blueberry Recipe

Gentle Friends I tore up the house last night looking for the recipe for the Blueberry Bars... and finally found it wedged behind the shredder and trash can.  It was almost like someone stuck it there as I have no idea how it crawled there on its own!!  Oh, well, I found it and that's what counts - I couldn't figure out where I found the recipe either, I surf way too many spots on the web - Blogs, Boards and Forums, oh my!!  But, it does retain the original posters name and I do want to thank her and give her the credit - so thank you very much Retha - these bars are just delicious and so easy!!

Blueberry Bars 
from Retha

1 C White Sugar
1 Teas Baking Powder
3 Cup AP Flour
1 C Shortening ( I used butter flavoured Crisco)
1 Egg
1/4 Teas salt
1 Pinch Cinnamon
I also added quite a bit of Nutmeg
4 Cups (2 Pints) Fresh Blueberries

1/2 C White Sugar
3 Teas Cornstarch

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 - grease a 9x13 pan

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 C sugar, 3 C of flour and the baking powder.  Mix in salt and spices.  Use a pastry cutter or fork to blend in the shortening and egg.


Dough will be crumbly.  Pat half the dough into the prepared pan.

In another bowl, stir together the 1/2 C sugar and cornstarch.  Gently mix in the blueberries.  Sprinkle this blueberry mixture over evenly over the crust.


Crumble the remaining dough over the berry layer.  


Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minute, or until top is slightly brown.  I checked at about 30 minutes and it was done - 


Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Retha says that you can use frozen berries, I used fresh.  She also suggests that you can substitute raspberries - and that sounds delicious!!!


Thanks again to Retha and her super Berry Bars!!!!
___________

There you go sports fans.  Thanks for stopping by do stop again!

Take care,
edgar

13 comments:

  1. So yummy
    Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, sometimes I have to come over to your blog with my hands over my eyes when you do some baking. These really look wonderful and they have to be health with the blueberries, right? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the recipe, Edgar! I'm bookmarking it and making DH make them as soon as we get some blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you might have found the recipe over at 123mb :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm.....I just happen to have some fresh blueberries in the frig now!
    Thanks for sharing Edgar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edgar, thanks for digging that recipe out!! I have it copied.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my God. I think I will not visit your blog again. The look on your yummy recipes put weight on me. Everything looks so delicious.
    Greetings from germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edgar, I was planning on making this for my grand daughter but was confused...one cup of flour or three? Thanks, Tnladybug

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely, seeing your foodie pic has made me realise i am sitting here and its way past lunchtime, i seem to have lost a couple of hours in front of this screen! Off for a bite to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy and sounds very simple to make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look deelish! Must print this recipe out and try these. Thanks for sharing, Edgar.

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...