Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Little Cooking

Gentle Friends I wanted to finally post the recipe for Sugar Peanuts - it is so simple and quick ... and the nuts are so addictive, you'll be hard pressed to not eat them all up!!  You start off with raw peanuts, they have to be raw because you roast them in the oven to create the crunchy candy coating. 

 Here's a pretty basic recipe for making these nuts...

2 Cups of Raw, red skin peanuts
1 Cup of White sugar
1 Cup Water
1/4 Teas of Sea Salt

I've never made them with anything but the raw red skinned peanuts, but I would guess you could use any raw peanut.  The red skin will lend a pink colour to the finished nut.

You preheat your oven to about 350 or so... then you take a large skillet, iron or non-stick - and just dump all the ingredients in - turn the heat to medium high then stir, stir, stir....


You are basically just boiling off the water - when all the water is gone and just before this turns into a clump of grainy peanuts you take it off the heat and dump them into a deep roasting pan, separating the nuts out into a single layer.  Put this pan in your preheated oven and about every 10-15 minutes stir them around.  After the first 10 minutes they might stick a bit just scrape them up and shake that pan.  I usually cook them for about 45 minute or so - I like my nuts on the real brown side, but if you don't then about 30 minutes will do.  After the 30 minutes take them out of the oven and let them cool completely.  

  
These will keep for about a week, if they last that long, in a airtight container.
______________

On Sunday I made a great Blueberry Bar Cookie, from a recipe I found on line somewhere...  Here is the finished product....


I thought I had the recipe with me, but it seems that I left it at home.  I'll post that tomorrow, they where sure tasty!!!!

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

10 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try those peanuts soon ... diabetes or no. I'll just make sure my sugar is well under control for a week before I make them and then remember to practice moderation when snacking on them. Edgar, sometimes you are a dangerous man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the peanut recipe, Edgar. I'm going to have to look for some raw peanuts now. The blueberry bar cookies look delicious! Can't wait for that recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blueberry bar would go down a treat with the coffee I just made, it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those yummy treats. I'll be looking forward to the Blueberry bar recipe. Blueberries are among my favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, they look awesome. I am thinking, it might be tough to find, raw peanuts in some parts of the country. I know you could get them in Florida, as when I lived there, I knew alot of co-workers who loved the boiled peanuts. I occasionally will splurge and make the cinnamon/sugar pecans. Those are easy to make as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yummy! All the recipes on your blog look so delicious. I think you love cooking and baking more than I do! :)!
    Greetings from germany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the recipe for the peanuts Edgar I will be trying this out.

    Blueberries are scrumptious in cakes, the burst of flavour as you bit into them ..... delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! These sounded heavenly when you wrote about them a few days ago, and seeing them crystallizing in the sugar here is making me drool. Lol! I seriously need to make these! For right now, I'm going to have to settle for some left over Snickers bars from Halloween! (Yes, I realize it's March, but I buy extra large bags of Snickers and then secretly hope few children show up so there will be lots left over for ME!)

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...