Friday, January 25, 2013

I Remember Mama...and a Winner!!

Gentle Friends yesterday I picked up a little something from the jewelers I had made.  Backing up a bit with the story... having already begun the arduous task of clearing out my mothers house and going through everything I came across one of her diamond stud earrings.  She had a few different set of jewel set stud earrings.  We never found the mate for this particular stud, and I have my suspicions as to what happened to that!  My mom's good jewelry basically went to my sister, since I really have no need of it, but this single stud I wanted.  I thought since I'm not a pirate...


... an earring was not going to work for me.  So I though why not have it reset to hang on my chain.  I wear a gold chain around my neck with little mementos.  That's what I did, and picked the reset diamond up last night...


....  around my neck is this chain with my little bits....  from the top - a two sided Greek medallion (one side is the Parthenon the other a cameo of an athlete) my 1st cousin gave me 30+ years ago, next is a charm I got in Florence of Raphael's "Madonna of the Chair" - 1514-15, the painting hangs in the Pitti Palace. A beautiful museum with the gorgeous Boboli Gardens behind. When I was there I was really taken with this painting - it is really lovely as is the city of Florence!!!!  Above that piece is a charm from my grandmother's charm necklace that has her initials.  This "charm necklace" has about 60+ charms that my grandmother had made from her and her mother's charm bracelets.  Beneath that is the basket mounted diamond of my mother's and on the end is a charm I got at the Vatican of Saint Cecilia, patron Saint of Musicians. I am really a sentimental person and I like the bits and pieces that link us to memories.
 
UPDATE SNAP...  the back of the greecian Medallion.... thanks for asking Ariadne!!  :)

______________________


As it says in the Post Title  - We have a Winner - I had the "Hag Claw" draw a name from the BOD......

and the name he drew was.......


Catherine Laurent!!  I have sent you an email about your win.  Thank you all for your interest and keep a watch for my next Gift-a-way...  it will be a St Patrick themed Gift-a-way!!!
_________________

That's about it for today and wraps up the week.  Just a quick note that I will be in Florida next week, with my sister finishing up the cleaning out and shipping out of stuff from my mom's house - 
getting it ready to go on the market......  what a hassle!!!  
So I will not post again until the week of February 4th.

Thanks for stopping by, do stop in again!

Take care,
edgar

32 comments:

  1. Edgar, I just love your chain of mementos! Having your mum's diamond re-set was a great idea, and a visible reminder that you carry her along wherever you go. :)

    Now, I have to ask you a question. I just read your post from yesterday, and I remember that you love the McRib. But you're a genuine, born-south-of-the-Mason-Dixon-line Southerner, right? I've always been told that Southerners take barbeque very seriously. Logic has it that you would would hate the McRib. What gives? Do you just not consider this barbecue, but rather a separate, tasty item? Enquiring minds want to know!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to use the mismatched earring and to remember your mother and others. And congrats to Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Edgar, I always wear my Mom's diamond studs, but unlike you I am able to wear them in my ears. I always have that little bit of Mom with me and every time I clean these earrings I think of the joy on my Mom's face when we kids gave her REAL diamond earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you sweet chain..it's ful of sweet memories ..
    Congrats to the winner..
    Love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The parthenon?Wow!I am impressed. I would love to see the back side of this one!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to keep special memories close to your heart!
    Be safe and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice, now Mom is always hanging around...not wanting to wear it yourself as an earring...reminds me of Seinfield and "I don't want to be a pirate" have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really special idea Edgar. I love your chain, and all of the wonderful mementos. Now your mom can be close to your heart always.

    Congrats to the Needlepoint winner.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea, wearing a living memories necklace. I'm sure holding your mom close will bring you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful thing to do with your mom's diamond. Be well and safe on your trip. I know it will be a difficult week but know I'll be sending you positive thoughts. Hang in there, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the chain and it's beautiful mementos ...congrats to the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet idea Edgar. I'm sure all of those things on your chain bring back special memories.
    Now that is not the "Hag Claw" I was expecting to see as I scrolled down!
    Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so sweet, a wonderful idea on how to keep your mom close to your heart. Love seeing all the charms on your necklace and their histories. Good luck with the clean out next week. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely way to use the single diamond stud, and such a special way to remember your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a safe trip Edgar, I know the feeling of clearing out a parents property, I hope the good memories you have will help you through the week.
    Wonderful necklace, a perfect way for you to wear the precious stone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous idea, Edgar! I'm not a jewelry person, so that idea would work for me--some lovely tidbits on a chain! You have wonderful taste and style in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Edgar: What a wonderful way to remember your Mother, I am sure she has a lovely smile on her face in Heaven knowing you are wearing something that she owned.
    How lucky you are to have found the diamond, who knows maybe you will find the other stud I am praying you do.
    I love all your charms.
    Thank-you for picking my name, I will finish it and have it professionally framed by my friend Cindy.
    I already have a place for it next to my very large clock in the living room.
    God Bless You
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooo I can finally comment .... don't know what happened but there was no comments link any where for the last few posts for me .... :(
    congratulations to catherine on winning the kit ...
    wonderful idea for your mum's earing and good luck with the house clearing ... take care love mouse xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Edgar, you are so smart! That is the perfect way to use Mom's lone diamond...a special little piece of her is always near your heart. She would tell you how clever this is...
    I am hopeful that everything goes smoothly for you in Florida. Tough job, my friend.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really liked how you incorporated the diamond into your piece - you will always have a part of your mom with you. Congrats to Catherine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your chain and special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderful idea and memory. Safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely way to use the diamond stud and to keep close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sweet memory. I love the chains connection to generations past. Good luck with the house. CJ in OK

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful memories! I am finding interesting things while cleaning my dad's bedroom (most recently his passport from the 1980s). It's a hard task to deal with when our parents pass. Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for showing this idea. Now I know what to do with my parents' wedding rings.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your chain of special memories! It is beautiful. Take good care of yourself in Florida. It's not an easy thing that you will be doing. I'll send some good thoughts and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Edgar, that's really a wonderful way to remember your Mom. I'm sure that in some cases it will give you strength!
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad you saved something special for your mom. My thoughts are still with you.

    Hey...want to join a SAL?

    ReplyDelete
  30. just love, love, love your stitching! I am looking for suggestions of a fairly quick stitch to do for a wedding gift. would love any ideas yu might have - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fond memories of your Mum will be with you always but when you touch this little piece it will warm your heart. Good luck with the house and I am sorry you are going through this hard time. Take care of yourself and keep stitching and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It get's easier, believe me. It just takes time. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...