Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Stitchin' Stuff and a Recipe

GR&DF thank you for your comments - I do enjoy then so, and they often let me see a different take on something or bring to mind other thoughts. Mary asked about the lamb, and yes, I do enjoy lamb - does that make this Blacksheep a cannibal?? I wonder? Sharon's comment about the acquisition of special things from others. I often think that when I am at an estate sale. It is sad to think that the things one "hoards" through life are thrown to the heap after we are gone. I guess the things are special to us alone and become the debris of our lives. The Heisey cream and sugar had to have been special to the previous owner as they are certainly old pieces, but have so little wear as to be almost new looking. Where there should be little scratches all along the bottoms of both they are clean an smooth and beautiful. They where probably never used and kept to just look at. That is why I use everything I ever buy. There is nothing that I have not used or do not use all the time in my house - and - there is nothing kept for a special occasions. I think every day I wake up is a special occasion so why not use everything, before it gets thrown on the heap or sold at a tag or an estate sale!! Enough of that!!

I took part in a Private Autumnal Exchange and yesterday my exchange piece arrived.
Lisa was my partner. Here is a snap -

How darling is this!! I love squirrels and this is so Autumn to me!! I just love the "nut" shape of the piece! On the back Lisa stitched the date and our initials.

The picture bites, but the piece is soooo cute!! Thank you so much Lisa, this is such a great Fall piece and looks super sitting out in our living room! My exchange piece is about done and will go into the mail on Monday.

On Saturday evening when I met up with Roberta and her son, Jeremy, for dinner - she brought me the most lovely present - I didn't get a good enough snap yesterday to post so I will post a good one today -

She made me this beautiful ort pocket and felt pyn cushion - I am loving it!! It is so handy to have a place to fling those orts - since the floor around my stitchy chair usually has many bits of silk and the who-hounds usually get one or two stuck to them having a place to put them will be nice - we are a colourful little house!

Over the weekend I also got some stitching done on SoHRH - here's a snap...

I have finished up Square #1 and am now onto #2. I think with this HRH that these first two squares will be the quickest of the lot.

I also wanted to post the recipe - It is very easy and I am sure there are many versions out there but I really enjoy this one.... so here goes.....


Pat's Christmas Rum Cake

Preheat oven to 325 - grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan

1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 yellow cake mix
1 small package vanilla instant pudding
1/2 c dark rum
1/2 c water
1/2 c salad oil
4 eggs
-
1 hot glaze recipe

Sprinkle nuts into floured and greased pan...

Mix all ingredients together, and beat them for at least 4 mins.

Pour into prepared tube pan and bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. After you take the cake out of the oven to cool prepare the hot glaze.

Hot Glaze

1 c white sugar
1/2 c butter
1/4 c dark rum
1/4 c water

Combine all in a small pan, bring to boil and boil for 3 mins - stirring constantly.

While cake is still warm take an ice pick and poke holes all over the cake and then slowly pour the hot glaze all over.

Let the cake cool like in the pan for at least 30 mins - then pop that sucker out -

Pour yourself a cup of coffee and slice the cake.....

Enjoy!!

There you go sports fans. Thank you once again for all your kind comments and thoughts!!
Do stop by again!!

Take care,
edgar

21 comments:

  1. What a sweet little squirrel, and such a neat finish! Love the ort box/pin cushion, too. Lucky duck!

    (Love your philosophy of using your things, Edgar. Life is too short!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edgar --
    I so agree with you about using everything in your home and not just saving "the good stuff" for special occasions. Everyday is special.

    Great Progress on SaHRH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your exhange piece from Lisa, and also the present from Roberta. Your Shores is looking great! Thanks also for the recipe. Can I ask -- what color is the kitchenaid mixer you have called? Do you have the 5 qt size or a different size? I'm thinking of getting one for my DH for his birthday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every day is a party day! :)
    And I would really get down with cake you baked :) LOL!
    LOVE the exchange you received! Lisa did a perfect job on that beauty. YOWZA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cutest little acorn pillow! What a neat idea.

    Your rum cake is looking mighty tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just discovered your blog. You have some great pictures and I see you do marvelous work. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The exchange and present are lovely! Great progress on your Shores too. I keep wondering if I'll stitch this one up.

    Thanks for the rum cake recipe....it sounds so good. I want a slice now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH WOW I love that squirrel nut exchange, you lucky thing.

    The cake looks delicious too. Might try that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting the recipe. My DH loooves rum. Me, not so much, but I would like to make this for him sometime as a special treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ort pocket - I made myself the felt pyn cushion a while back but my stitching skills do NOT run to the beautiful matching pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so agree with your policy on using things! I will always remember going through my grandmother's things and finding things that she never used, saving them for a special day - some even with the tags still on!

    Great stitching goodies - love the Acorn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The squirrel and ort bag are just tops! :D These Autumn exchanges which have started "rolling in" around blogland are making me eye mine--I hope my partner likes it!

    This is a super post and you KNOW I just love rum cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That acorn is just about the cutest Autumn piece that I've ever seen. I love the initials on the back too - I always think those personal touches are just so sweet.
    Here I go off "wandering" with my comments again - but I promise, it relates to your post. :)
    When my beloved mother-in-love passed away, we were going through her things and I came across a box that was in the far corner of her closet. The box was in pristine condition and I couldn't wait to see what was inside. What I found brought me to tears and changed my philosophy of life. Inside were beautiful, hand-embroidered placemats that had obviously never been used. Tucked inside was a card adddressed to my MIL from her sister. The note said, "Dear Millie, please use these placemats and think of me as you enjoy your meals. Please don't save them for "company" or only for "special" ocasions. You deserve everyday to be a special occasion. With all my love, Cecille". My MIL had written on the back of the note, "too pretty to use" and the date - 1968. (My MIL passed on in 1994. Right then, I realized that "every" day is a gift and therefore is "special"...I felt so sad when I thought of the lost joy that was wasted by my MIL...that she thought no day was "special enough" to enjoy the placemats. I share and admire your zeal for life. Let's all get out there and make today "special enough"!
    (That rum cake could be just the ticket to make any day special!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been coming to your blog fairly regularly lately, but don't post much. I did, however want to amen your everyday is a special day philosopy. Life is definetly too short to waste.

    I also wanted to say how cute is that acorn finish!! I would never even have thought about it much less figured out how to do it. Lisa is quite talented.

    Rum cake - nummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The squirrel it great and I am sure you will enjoy it, I never think of making things like that.
    Orts orts everywhere what a great little place to put them.

    I have made a verison of this Rum Cake for years just used another brand of Rum. The batter is so thick that one year I burned out my hand mixers,sure wish I had one like yours that year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Edgar, can't tell you how much I appreciate the rum recipe. Yes, so many out there, but to find a tried/true one is a delight, looking forward to making this. Family reunion (80 plus) soon, perfect take along, get them all snockered, won't have to deal with them ~ WAIT ~ I'm the one that needs to get snockered - lol:) Cute acorn, alternative finishes are always a hit aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your exchange piece with the squirrel and the acorn shape. The ort pocket/pin cushion is a cool idea. You are right about considering every day special. If you like something enough to own or keep it, you should use it. I'm putting the rum cake on my must make list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quelle recette!Miam! Et je la terminerai en disant......et vous prenez des kilos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Mum gets horrified when I use my "good" items for every day use - I have the same philosophy in that I want to enjoy them while I'm still alive and appreciate how good it makes me feel to use items that I love ... there's no point having "special" dinner sets for special occasions when those occasions never happen. On a stitching note, love the exchange piece from Lisa, that's a terrific pincushion :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darling little acorn! I love the present from Roberta too. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You always share such great things Edgar. Thanks for the recipe.

    That acorn is just too cute!
    And I am liking that first square of HRH. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...