Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thursday Posting

Not too much going on - just the count down to the weekend!! :)

Last night was devoted to more Christmas stitching so no snaps of that. Talking about stitching led to me thinking about stashing - I know that basically I have probably reached SABLE a long time ago and still get more stuff. With that in mind I started to think what where the things that I bought or collected.... the ones that do it for me are just about anything Quaker - either repro or inspired by the style. There are very few Quakerish things that I just do not like - and I would never get. When I buy or download a freebie or even see something "new" - I always think "Will I ever stitch it" and if I am HONEST with myself and with the piece, more times than not I can walk away from it and save some funions. Another company/style are the PS things - not everything but most - I also love the Noah and the Ark theme - and was very surprised at how many different interpretations there are out there - I have 12 different charts with that theme and ordered two more yesterday.

"Noah Building the Ark" - Raphael (1483-1520)
Fresco, St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City


I also noticed that when laying these charts out to see how they look together I notice there isn't a cartoony one in the bunch. Cartoon subjects/pieces and the mystical/fantasy area are things I just don't care for. I also notice how many small square samplers I have - I wondered about that also. It is very interesting to see what the pile holds. Now that I am getting them put into plastic sleeve protectors and separating by company/them/idea and then into 3 ring binders I can get a better idea of what I have and hopefully not buy something twice.

The flickers last night where particularly good - two from TCM and one NetFlix. On TCM it was Gangster night and I started off the evening with "Manhattan Melodrama" - 1934 - staring Clark Gable, Myrna Loy and William Powell. The story is very "drama" and kind of silly but you watch it for the three stars who are superb and at the top of their game. The second flick was "Fog Over Frisco" - 1934 - starring Bette Davis, Donald Woods and Margaret Lindsey. This was one of 6 films that Bette made in 34 - the contract player system kept them mighty busy!! The film was pretty good and it was super to see San Francisco in 34 - the car chase scenes where great - they were rear projected and cut in with actual street shots but very effective. The third film was "Three Guys Named Mike" 1951 - starring Jane Wyman, Van Johnson, Howard Keel and Barry Sullivan. A great escapist film about a small town girl who goes to work for American Airlines as a stewardess - and her falling for three guys named Mike. A great little film that I stumbled on - a breezy comedy I can highly recommend!!

Thank you for the great comments yesterday!! I do appreciate them. Thank you for stopping by - remember I wont be here tomorrow- but will return on Monday
- same Bat time same Bat channel!!!

Take care,
edgar

6 comments:

  1. Hi Edgar,

    So, tell me, how many binders did you fill with your organized charts? When I was talking to you last year about possibly starting a blog, I had maybe 2 binders of stitched and new charts. Now...I'm too embarassed to tell! I think it holds true for everyone that we have far more charts that we could or would want to stitch...but there's the just-in-case mentality!

    It's all fun, and calorie free! Enjoy your lovely long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tossing around the idea of starting a "binder" collection also. When we sold our home in CA about 10 years ago and traveled around for several years I got rid of all my cross stitch charts, thread, completed designs and some that were framed. We lived in our motorhome and I just didn't have the space to keep it. Now, of course, I could kick myself for not storing it at my SIL's, but you know what they say...hind sight is always 20/20 :( So now I have been "collecting" again since we are back in a house and I have been thinking about ways to store my charts and fabric.

    I also watched the TCM movies you mentioned and earlier in the day they showed the original Perry Mason movies from the 1930's. They were a little corny but I found them very entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intersting ideas...I need to do a little self-analysis on my stash now. I do tend to gravitate toward Quaker things, thanks in part to your inspiration. Before I "met the Quakers" I was a complete and total Prairie Schooler nut. I still am, but I've also discovered a few other nice primitive designer like Workbasket, Goode Huswife and Blackbird Designs. Currently I have three large (4" thick) binders filled with Internet freebies and "gift charts" from friends.
    BTW, do you have all the current Workbasket Quaker Animals? Bat, Owl, Penguin, Polar Bear, Frog, Swan, Rabbit? I think they need to design a Quaker Fish too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just getting caught up on your posts, Edgar (I've been a blog slacker lately). Love your stitchy updates, and that transferware platter you got is to die for!! AWESOME. I am vrrry partial to red transferware. Anyway, have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are enjoying your Holiday weekend.
    Good luck at organising your charts - mine just seem to spill over and inter-theme when I try to organise them....and something will always push itself to the top and insist on being stitched then and there!
    Pop on over to my blog - I've left something there for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also a Noah's Ark lover. I probably have just as many if not more Noah's Ark cross stitch and other projects. My only defense is that I was a Zoology major! (Have always loved animals!)

    I keep buying more and more. If there are any turtles or tortoises in the ark I am especially sunk!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...