Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Little Baking and Pumpkin "Pie Spice"

Gentle Friends, over the weekend I finalized some baking I;'ll be doing for Rico's work this week.  They are having their annual Fall Bake Sale - to raise money for the Foundation at his Company.  I also wanted to send him to work with a baked treat for Monday Morning.  I have gotten into the habit and they have come to expect a little something.  So, I found an easy recipe at AllRecipes for "Applesauce Bars." 

These come together easily and really baked up quick - in about 23 minutes -  with a sweet vanilla glaze - you can click HERE to get the recipe.  The only change I made, and you knew there would be one, was I doubled the PPSpice amount to 2 teaspoons - I thought 1 teas. wouldn't be enough and after trying the bars I'm glad I put in two, but they are on the gingerbread side all full of spice.  I like that - but others might not so 1 1/2 teaspoons might fit the bill.  
______________

When I went to the spice cabinet I found I was out of  Pumpkin Pie Spice - I like to make my own blend - for a few of reasons......1) it is super easy to make.....2) you can tweak it to your taste..... and 3) most PPS Blends that are ready made consist of mostly cinnamon - and a PPS Blend should have real depth of flavour and be "spicy!!!"

... so I gathered up the spices and set to work.......  the Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend I make consists of:

2 Tbls. Cinnamon
2 teas Ginger
1 teas Allspice
1 teas Clove
1/2 Mace
1 1/2 teas Nutmeg (I grate my own)

... put all the above spices into a small bowl.....

.... and stir until everything is WELL blended - it takes a few minutes to get it all blended....

... I bake quite a bit so I already had a few of the little empty plastic "jars", the amount of PPS this recipe makes will fill one of the small "jars."  I like this blend, but there are lots of variations out there so try your hand at making your very own PPS Blend!!
________________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

13 comments:

  1. I will try making my own PPS--thank you for sharing your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rico's co-workers are very lucky! This looks delicious! I know my DH adds his own spices to any pumpkin pie he makes too. I'll have to show him this and ask if you two have similar ideas. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest EDgar: OH yum I love pumpkin pie, thank-you for sharing.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edgar, you just do it all!
    I will have to try your spice mixture! You sure make it look easy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi edgar - looks like a photo for a shoot - just beautiful! And I love the plate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipe looks great. I will be trying it soon. It's that time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done this for years since I like a bit more ginger in my baking spice than most folk. I also make my own garam masala for when I cook Indian food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How you ease and simplify the process for these yummy treats.
    Going to make the PPS, as well...
    The perfect Autumn accompaniment for tea time. Bless you, Edgar
    Gentility

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, thanks for your PPS blend. Where do you find whole nutmeg. My supermarket doesn't carry it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe. Who's the scary green guy in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oogie Boogie! When my daughter was young, she was scared of Oogie Boogie. Love that movie! I'm in a baking mood, I'll have to try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...