Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Flicks...

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends I'll wrap up the week with a couple of really fine films I had the chance to view this week. 

Now, I know that you probably think I can't watch anything after about 1966....67.....  but that just isn't so.  I can watch almost anything, but my preference is for old film from the "golden Age" of film making.  I do not care for those two words and think they are used way too much!!  the two films today where both made in the last 10 years and both of these films I had never seen before nor had I heard about them - but found them just searching around looking at different acoptrs bios.


First up would be "The Straight Story" - 1999 - starring Sissy Spacek and Richard Farnsworth.  Directed by David Lynch - this is not a movie for fans of the usual eerie Lynch stuff. Rather, it's for those who appreciate a good story.  The story unfolds flawlessly, and we are taken along a journey that, I believe, most of us will come to recognize at some time. A compassionate journey where we make amends for our past when approaching our inevitable demise.  Acting is without faults, cinematography likewise (occasionally quite brilliant!), and the dialogue is spare enough for the viewer to grasp the details of the story. A really good movie that develops slowly.

The second film I want to mention is "Noel" - 2004 - starring Susan Sarandon, Penelope Cruz, Paul Walker, Alan Arkin and Robin Willimas.  I love Christmas films but I had never seen this one - nor had I heard much about it either.

 
With an all-star cast and a story written with such complex layer and beauty, it is hard to not fall deep into the spirit of this movie. As we watch each character move through the day and night before Christmas Day, we see their stories woven into an interconnected pattern which ultimately proves the magical power of the Holiday.  Each story different, each life full of pain and love; both sides of the Christmas holiday are shown in this film. The lonely and the loved, the heartsick and the passionate, the joyful and the sad - Noel is a Christmas story which speaks to the truth of the magic of Holiday Season. All actors shine in this touching film, with the performances of Susan Sarandon, Penelope Cruz, Paul Walker, Alan Arkin, and Robin Williams encompassing intense, simple, and artful portraits of the human condition. If you are looking for a modern Holiday movie full of the rich character and story detail found in the great reels of the past - do not turn to the numerous "Seasonal flicks" found on cable TV - but rather, discover and rediscover the magic found in Noel. 

I thoroughly enjoyed these two films and with each running about 100 minutes they move along telling great stories!!  I hope you check them out.
_____________

There you go sports fans.  Thanks again for stopping by  - and for your great comments!!  
Do come again!

Take care,
edgar

11 comments:

  1. Edgar: Thank-you for sharing these two movies I love your post about movies I have had so much fun reading about your flicks and searching them out, the Noel one looks like one to watch after Thanksgiving dinner.
    Blessings to you Rico and the Kids.
    Catherine
    diamondc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like two great films, will try and look out for these, i also love all the old ones, they don't make them like they use to. Thanks Edgar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Straight Story! It's very touching. I'll look for the other one! Thanks! Have a great weekend. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess I will be watching a couple movies come November and December. I have never heard of either one of them myself. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I don't often have the same taste in movies but these sound like two we both could enjoy. Thanks.
    Enjoy your weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Edgar, I follow your blog religiously and so admire you stitching and movie suggestions...however I have a question and I think this is my only way of asking it...About a year ago, one of your blog recommendations was a farm...I seem to remember SHEPARD
    in the title...if you can give me a link to them , I would appreciate it. Thank you, Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of either of these, but I will keep an eye out now. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your movies. I would like to see both of them but Noel really sounds like a must for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always looking for new holiday films Edgar so will definitely check out 'Noel'. Also I love Richard Farnsworth and was sad when he passed away - such a fine actor, he still makes me sniff a bit in Anne of Green Gables!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the movie tips Edgar your taste is spot on. I will be looking for them on Netflix. I know what you mean about the "older" movies, if I am watching TCM all I have to see is the beginning of the movie with the huge MGM logo in color and I can watch whatever movie it is and some of them many, many times over....I guess that is 1956 to early 70's? Movie that had a story.
    I also thought of you today, I know you work during the day but if you get a chance via DVR or on a day off please be sure to catch "The Chew" on ABC at 1 PM...it's all about the enjoyment of food and hospitality and friendship and the hosts actually get along!!!! I just figured it might be a show you would get a kick out of.
    Dottie J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We saw "Straight Story" some time ago and loved it. I'll put "Noel" on our 'to see' list. Sounds like one we'll enjoy too. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...