Thursday, September 8, 2011

4 Good Flicks

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends only a day more and then the weekend!!  Can you tell I'm ready for it - even on a short week - looking towards the weekend has my full attention.  But, until then lets talk about a few flicks....

First up - and by year of release - is "The Young in Heart" - 1938 - with an ensemble cast of superior actors this film is a film I think anyone would enjoy.  The cast includes... Janet Gaynor, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Paulette Goddard, Roland Young, Billie Burke and Minnie Dupree.  


The story revolves around the family Carlton - four folks that are looking for the easy way and for someone else to pay when they are asked to leave the South of France.  On their way north they meet and latch onto a a wealthy lonely older woman who takes them in and helps them become the people she knows they can be.  A charming story that is well worth a look - and at 90 minutes moves along briskly.
__________
The second film "Larceny Inc." - 1942 - another ensemble film led by that wonderful actor Edward G. Robinson - other co-stars include Jane Wyman, Broderick Crawford, Jack Carson and Anthony Quinn.  


This 95 Minute film tells the story of gangsters trying to go straight - or are they?  After getting out of prison and buying a less than successful luggage store to rob the Bank next door these would be robbers find it easier to make money legitimately than to steal.  When a "friend" from prison walks in and has other plans.  A fun and funny film with some laugh out loud moments!!
_________

Third up is "Song of the Thin Man" - 1947 - starring William Powell, Myrna Loy, Keenan Wynn, Gloria Graham and Jane Meadows -this was the sixth and last instalment of the "Thin Man" Series."


Of course there is a murder, a mystery some jewels and music - all on the luxury gambling yacht of an off beat criminal.  I really enjoy Powell and Loy as Nick and Nora - even with a thinnish story line - they are charming and get off some terrific lines!!  The film is 86 minutes and moves along well - a light murder mystery with two great actors is well worth a look!!
_________

Last but certainly not least we come to 1951's - "14 Hours" - starring Paul Douglas, Richard Basehart, Barbara Bel Geddes, Agnes Moorehead and Grace Kelly.  

This "forgotten" film is remembered if ever because it was Grace Kelly's first appearance in film.  The story of a young man standing on the 16th floor ledge of the Hotel Rodney in NYC - and ready to jump.  Douglas plays a sympathetic cop that is the only person the jumper will talk to and tell his story.  A wonderfully shot film with great deep perspective and mask shots makes you believe that you are up on the ledge with the two stars.  A film full of suspense with little side stories all told in a short 92 minutes.

I enjoyed all four of the films and think you might also.  
They are all available on DVD.
__________

Last night instead of any stitching at all I spent it playing with Smokie and being his chew toy, boy those little puppy teeth are sharp little suckers!!!

There you go sports fans.  Thanks for stopping by - do come again!!

Take care,
edgar

5 comments:

  1. Love your movie posts- always introducing me to movies I've never heard of that look fun to check out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment is more about yesterday's post! I loved the pictures of the conservatory!! I listened to the audio book " Wicked Plants" by Amy Stewart. Seeing your pictures made the book come alive. Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Edward G. Robinson and have never seen a Thin Man that I didn't like. I really enjoy Myrna Loy and William Powell together! I'm not familiar with the other two you mention, but will have to check them out. I seldom bother with TV anymore. Enjoy your little pup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like me Edgar. It brings to mind the song lyrics, "Everybodies working for the weekend".
    I'll have to check out to see if the Myrna Loy film is on Netflix. I love Myrna Loy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the movie suggestions, I just loaded up my Netflix queue and added some others to the instant watch. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed classic movies. I''m looking forward to getting the Thin Man series.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...