Thursday, July 2, 2015

Thrifty Thursday

Gentle Friends, our thrifting last Saturday was more fun than find. 
 Sometimes that's how it goes.  I did find two things......

.....  a great 19th century ironstone syrup pitcher and a superb copy of "The Presidents House" by William Seale.  Not that I was looking for the books, but in the back of my mind I knew I wanted a set.  Here's the reason.......  on CSPAN last year they did a wonderful series called "First Ladies: Image and Influence."  It was on for weeks and covered the first 45 First Ladies.  They are now re-running this series on Sunday evenings at 8 EST and 5 PST.   This Sunday, July 5th they will by doing Lucy Webb Hayes. William Seale has been on many of the episodes and the information he imparts is top notch and so interesting.  If you can catch any part of this series I would highly recommend you do - one of the most informative shows I've seen in a long time - Bravo CSPAN!!
_______________________

That's about it for today sports fans. It's a long (4 day) weekend so I'll be back next week - thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

6 comments:

  1. Have a great and safe Fourth of July!

    I found a bargain last weekend of Edgar proportions! The girls have a wooden railway set but our house is all carpet so it's not the best building surface. We wanted to get them one of those wooden railway tables but they're like $100+ Found one on Saturday, in my neighborhood for $20. It's in pretty good shape too. Score! Luckily, our only vehicle is a truck.

    P.S. They love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds! I also have been watching the CSPAN series on the First Ladies--extremely well done and so many interesting things about the presidents, their families and the times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoy your Thrifty Thursday posts and am always interested in your finds of the week. I'll have the opportunity to do a little thrifting myself in the next few weeks. Here's hoping I can find some treasures just as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about the First Ladies. Will have to figure out how I can see this series in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to your placing my budget at risk influence, I had to go out and purchase the grand Presidents' 2 volume set. Simply wonderful.
    Many thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edgar!
    I didn't see the series on the First Ladies but I wondered if there was anything shown
    about Ellen Axson Wilson, Woodrow Wilson's first wife. She was First Lady only a short time
    before she died. Although she was born in Savannah, GA, she was raised in
    Rome, GA (my hometown) and she is buried there at Myrtle Hill Cemetery. Only recently was her portrait added to the White House.

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...