Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Box and Some Bars

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends thanks again for stopping by and for your kind comments and emails!!!  Especially about my colour/floss changes to the February Cottage - I know that I can be super butt-headed at times about things.  I can also get on my high horse and just do my own thing -  knowing that about me probably excuses my crazy need to change and adapt some of the floss choices that Designers make.  I also know that some folks out there would consider it sacrilege to change anything, but I look at it like - I am stitching for me and I'm gonna be happy first and foremost - and it is a hobby and not the end all things to change something...  so let it slide and be happy with what you are doing!!  An odd statement I know, but I do get some odd emails occasionally.....
____________

The San Francisco Gift-a-way Box arrived at Tracey's all in good order with nothing broken or missing!!!  So I can now post a snap of what I sent.


I always had in the back of my mind the basic contents of what I wanted to send, but I also wanted the Winner to get something tailored to their likes and be an SF Treat - hence the questions ....  Tracey likes Milk chocolate - so the Lux Milk Chocolate from Ghiradelli was appropriate - she also likes ground lighter coffees so Blue Bottle (a local roaster we really like) was always in the mix (for coffee drinkers) and this is one of their fruitier medium/light roasts.  I also wanted to include some very local things - I live in Noe Valley (a section of SF) and about 2 blocks from where I live is a great little restaurant called Lovejoy's Tea Room.  They make and sell some really delicious Lemon curd and they also carry some honey gathered up right here in the Valley - so I knew I wanted to include those treats.  We ran down to the Ferry Building and picked up the great pink salt and the caramels - the flavour ones are not from SF, but pretty tasty, the large sea-salt one is made locally. Tracey, like me, enjoys a more chewy candy so I picked up some of her faves to include in the box.  I really enjoyed putting it all together and sending out a little bit of SF!!  

I am thinking up another Gift-a-Way for the Spring so keep a look out!!
__________

I posted the Mud Hen Bar recipe over at Blacksheep Bakes - it got rave reviews from some of Rico's go-workers - so it is a real winner treat!!!
__________

I think about wraps up the day sports fans.  Again, thank you for stopping by do come again!!!!

Take care,
edgar

21 comments:

  1. YUM! What a great treat you sent. Hmm, I would love to compare that lemon curd with the lemon curd my sister makes...hers is the best I've ever had! I'll put that tearoom on my list for next time I get to San Francisco. I've never seen coleslaw on a tea menu, LOL! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great little place to go. But, it is often very crowded and reservations are almost a must - most certainly on the weekends.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, nice gift giveaway for sure! So many goodies from SF! Lucky Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great assortment!

    I'm familiar with Noe Valley; in fact we were there last month. We got to sample some coffee from Philz coffee. I hear it's quite the popular place for coffee in SF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the one in the Mission - now I am thinking I need to go and try it for myself - thx!!

      Delete
  4. Yum! Tracey is one lucky girl! Love all the wonderful things you included in there for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw all of the goodies over at Tracey's blog ~ yummy! What a great box you put together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too like to change up the colors sometimes form the original. It is a way of making the piece mine.
    What a delicious looking box of goodies you sent, lucky Tracey.
    Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely gift-a-way packed with yummies! I agree with you about changing things in patterns to suit your own liking, it's all about having fun with it! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My attitude to changing colors is, no one will ever look at one of my samplers and say, "OMG, she didn't use the DMC 434 that the chart called for!" As long as a color works and you're happy with the result, that's what matters.

    The cottages are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo glad it all arrived safely and what lovely goodies too ... and life is too short to worry about not changing threads to suit you ...:) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you about changing colors on some patterns. I'm sure the designers don't mind.

    Yummy sweet treats, what a thoughtful giveaway idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Edgar, I change floss and colors all the time. I agree totally with your philosophy. After all we spend lots of time on these projects and they need to please us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tracey got a great package! You were very generous Edgar : ) When I began stitching I was very "stitch with the colors the designer tells you to use" ... but now I agree that I'm doing it for me & if I'm happier changing a bright pink to a dark pink or a red to a blue then that's okay! Blessings, Shirlee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes Edgar, you were VERY generous indeed!!! I have sampled quite a few things already... YUMMMMMMM!! I am going to try some of the lemon curd in my vanilla yoghurt tonight (how did you know that I am a HUGE lemon lover!!). Thanks again Edgar for sending me a little taste of San Fransisco!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the package looks great. I am always changing patterns and colors. We have to put some of our personality into the pieces. Change is good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun package you sent. Love the cottage finish as well as the colors you chose, it makes it pop. You have a good eye for color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have gotten very behind with blog reading so some of my comments go back a ways. The pictures of your Dad are a great find. I think I see a family resemblance. Smokie has such a sweet face and it is too funny to see him standing on his toy. The special SF box had amazing goodies. And of course all your stitching is great. If I buy a chart then I get to stitch any way I want to! I don't think the stitch police will come and get us, but if they do, maybe all the stitchers can be in the same cell block!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great package. I am sure it was fun to put together.

    I enjoy changing colours on some charts. You did a beautiful job of in on the cottages piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pkg you put together Edgar. I liked the changes you made on the Feb cottage, the original colors were a bit too Barbie-doll pink for my taste. I change out whatever I want to with my projects and don't give it a second thought. I feel no obligation to stick to the designer's plan!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...