Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Little Converting

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends what kind comments about my old "Monthlies" finish.  I am thinking that for "Cottages" I will have it be 4 across and 3 down just to shake it up a bit.  I am totally stoked about the new "Cottages" piece and can't wait to get started.
__________

So, last night ...  did the usual... got home, took the who-hounds out, then fed the who hounds (I just know that it is the highpoint of their day!!)  Tossed a couple of loads of laundry in the wash - and made dinner... a pot of Matzo Ball Soup (one of my favorites)  

I had gotten a great film from Netflix - I wasn't sure how good it would be until I got into it but it had potential!!  ....and I finally got my butt in gear and made some decisions about the C Mon Monde SAL - it does have a name "A La Belle Etoile" - which I think translates to "A Beautiful Star" but Bablefish translates it to "With Open Air."  Anyone else have a better translation??  It matters not - as the piece it really nice for this time of year.  

From now on I will refer to it by its proper name.  In this spot is where I would normally slap a snap of my conversion - and I did take a picture, but I forgot the dumb cord for the camera so I have no way to download the picture I set up and took - what a bummer!!  
My conversion is as follows (without illustration):

DMC 842 to Belle Soie - Sandy Beach
DMC 934 to Gloriana - Elizabethan Green
DMC 3685 to Gloriana - Cranberry
DMC 3768 to Belle Soie - Chester's Blue
DMC 3774 to Belle Soie - Pink Quartz
DMC 3865 to Belle Soie Oatmeal Scone

and I found in my box o'linen stash a nice piece of grey/blue 32ct mystery linen that I will stitch this sucker on. (I may just have to age up that piece of linen).  I hate it that there is no snap, but I'll post that in the morning!!  ... come hell or high water!!....
__________

The Netflix DVD was "Captain Horatio Hornblower" - 1951 - 
starring Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayo. 

A great swashbuckling /adventure film.  Set during the Napoleonic Wars of the early 19th century.  Most of the film revolves around the HMS Lydia, Hornblower's ship and his secret mission in the Pacific ocean.  After handling the mission he then finds he has to bring Lady Barbara Wellesley back to England.  The battle scenes are superbly done and the sets and technicolour couldn't have been any better!!

I really enjoy these adventure films of the 50's - directed by Raoul Walsh the film is 117 minutes of high seas adventure!!

I wanted to mention again about TCM's November marathon called "All Aboard" - all kinds of films having to do with ships and the sea - that tonight is the second installment and the line up includes..... "Love Affair" - 1939 (8pm EST/5pm PST)an Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer vehicle, then a great Kay Francis/William Powell film "One Way Passage" - 1932 - (9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST) wrapping up the evening is a super Bette Davis film.. "Now Voyager" - 1942 - (10:45pm EST/7:45pm PST).  All three great films, a little weepy with lots of emotion!!
__________

There you go sports fans.  Thanks again for stopping by do stop by again!!

Take care,
edgar

8 comments:

  1. I think it might mean "To the Beautiful star," but it's definitely "Star."

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see the snapperoos ..lol and I seem to recall seeing the Hornblower movie years ago but that's all I can ..lol... have you an idea what colour fabbie you going to go for , for the cottages ??? need help in that direction ..lol love mouse xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm interesting. I keep thinking about reading the book -- didn't know there was a movie version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A la belle étoile" means "in the open air" or "under the moonlight" if you prefer. :)
    Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the TCM heads up - I love watching old movies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was working on that SAL today Edgar, and the more you stitch, the more beautiful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edgar the SAL is called " Under the Stars'

    Thank you i started mine last night , first on 28 count sage green then after an hour of stitching . i was not happy and changed to 32 count blue/grey much better wasted an hour but never mind things happen i have to move on.
    My DH loves the Horn blower film the old one and all the new ones.
    Have e great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matzo Ball Soup?? That just gave me warm fuzzies. It is such a comfort food. I started my CMM SAL last night and changed the colors a million times but finally got what I like and made a little progress. Can't wait to see your pic.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...