Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thrifty Thursday... and a Flick

Gentle Friends... thrifting on Saturday was basically a bust... there were no Estate Sales and very little in the shops.... I did however find one little treasure....

......  a great book about the making of one of my favorite Holiday Specials.......  the book goes into great depth about the "behind the scenes" and even discusses how it came to be in the first place....lovin' it!!!!
_________________________

I know I've not talked about films in a while, but this one I gotta mention - "Into the Woods" - 2014 -   It was a Netflix DVD last night and I was really looking forward to seeing it.....  I do love Sondheim and this is a real favorite of mine...... 
.........it didn't disappoint - even going beyond expectations in some instances.....


... there were quite a few super performances - one of them was given by Meryl Streep, and it was her performance I was most leery of - after seeing (and hearing) her in "Mama Mia" that unwatchable fiasco - I was worried she would be unable to carry the roll of The Witch.  I shouldn't have even given it a thought as she completely outdid herself and was simply stunning.( the roll of The Witch was originated by Bernadette Peters so there were some large shoes to fill)  Other stand outs include... Emily Blunt as The Bakers Wife - superb!!, Anna Kendrick as Cinderella - perfection and Johnny Depp as The Wolf - to funny and his song "Hello, little Girl" was perfect!!  If you like Sondheim - and many don;t - then this is a movie you will certainly enjoy!!

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

6 comments:

  1. I just love that Charlie Brown special. It has always been a favorite of mine. I do want to see Into the Woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have convinced me that I should watch this version of "Into the Woods"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to search for a copy of that book. My daughter is a really Peanuts fan. I see we disagree concerning Mamma Mia. I really like that movie. I like Sondheim also so I will have to rent that movie soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything PEANUTS! How great that you found that book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Edgar:

    Charlie Brown is so cute, nice find.
    I am interested in Into The Woods, now I need to see it.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very jealous of your precious find, great one.
    I agree with your thoughts on Into the Woods, I wasn't are how Disney would handle such material which to be frank isn't exactly in their cords but they did a great job.
    Maryl was outstanding, especially Stay With Me, I want through half a box of kleenex with that one.

    ReplyDelete

It's Spring!!

Gentle Friends, a lovely variation of Vivaldis's first movement of Spring....  bright and cheerful........ ________________ The year mov...