Thursday, December 12, 2019

A Little Christmas Cooking

Gentle Friends, so I've been super busy this year, with almost 10 days less to get things done it seems that I've been running around like a chicken with its head off!!  I had some plans in place ( or in my mind) a month ago so it's managed madness!!  As in years past, I like to make treats for family and friends near and far and this year is no different... I chose to whip up a few things... 

.. some delicious Mexican Wedding Cookies, I switched out the more traditional pecans for walnuts... because I am also making...


... pralines and I didn't want to replicate the same nut.  This is one of my favourite candies and it's a recipe I've tweaked from about six different places to come up with what I think is a super candy treat!!
_____________________


Of course, I have been thinking about Christmas dinner for a while and in years past I've made prime rib, Beef Wellington, standing rib roast and so on.... so this year I thought I'd look to Rico's family for inspiration.   I've landed on making tamales with carnitas... so we'll be giving a nod to his heritage this year and having friends over to enjoy !!  

Last night on the way home we hit a store in the Mission to pick up the supplies. I'm glad we did, as I was hit with almost empty shelves.  Tamales are very traditional for Christmas in Latino homes and I am really glad we stopped.... if I had waited any longer it might have been impossible to get what I needed!!    I've narrowed the list for the Christmas cake but haven't yet nailed it down... I'll keep you posted!
__________________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Good Thoughts! Good Words! Good Deeds!
edgar

8 comments:

  1. Oh nice! I call them Mexican Wedding cookies too and have an order to make 2 dozen on the 24th. Although I'm not Hispanic, it's a tradition here in Arizona and in my home to have tamales for Christmas. I buy them from a local shop and split them up amongst myself, my daughter and two brothers. And pralines.....ooooh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mexican cookies look like the Greek cookies kourabiedes. AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The pralines look amazing, and the tamales sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought they were pfeffernusse at first....In any language, I bet they are scrumptious.. Have fun making the tamales....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Edgar: I could eat tamales every meal.
    Your candy and cookies look wonderful.

    Merry Christmas
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your treats look wonderful. You brought back a fun memory. My Dad worked on the railroad with several men from Mexico. One Christmas Eve they invited him to come to their homes for tamales . They knew Dad loved them. Mom was not too happy when he got home about 2 hours later than she expected him! But he had such a memorable Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All looks yummy...Mexican wedding cookies are a favorite. And I love tamales...too chicken to try and make them. Would love it if you could share your praline recipe...Yummy again.

    ReplyDelete

Flowers and Fruit

 Gentle Friends, I wrapped up the centre square stitching... here's a snaperooo... ... I thought about straightening up the baskets and ...