Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Little Bakin'

Gentle Friends, Sunday afternoon I made this Strawberry Pound Cake.....

.... and try as I might I can not find the web spot that I got the recipe from - I am usually pretty good about noting where I get things and try to link back to an original source, but no such luck this time - I even tried searching using the picture that accompanied the recipe - and although I found the photo - I found the picture connected to quite a few other "strawberry" cakes - there where at least three completely different recipes using the exact same picture - and although I followed the recipe pretty closely even the cake I turned out doesn't quite look like picture that accompanied the recipe..... so me-thinks that photo was a stock shot of some sort.....  Here's the recipe I used - and if you recognize it or know the source do let me know and I'll edit the post......  here goes.....

"Strawberry Pound Cake"

2 Packages (10 oz each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
   (I used flash frozen whole berries that were unsweetened - 
    to control how sweet I knew this cake would be)
1 C Butter - room temp
2 C White Sugar
4 Eggs - room temp
3 C AP Flour 
1 teas Baking Soda
1/2 teas Baking Powder
1/2 teas salt
2/3 C Buttermilk
1/2 C Chopped Pecans optional (I left them out)
1/4 teas Strawberry Extract*

Strawberry (Sauce) Glaze
 1 1/2 C Icing Sugar
1/2 C Sliced Fresh Strawberries
1/2 teas Vanilla Extract
1/4 teas Strawberry Extract*
1/2 C Butter

Thaw and drain strawberries, reserving 1/2 C of the juice.  Chop the strawberries; set juice and berries aside.  In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add eggs to butter/sugar, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and mix well.  At this point stir in pecans, chopped strawberries and extract*.

Pour into greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/4 hour or until tooth pick inserted near the center comes out clean.  (Mine cooked at about an hour).  Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.

In a small saucepan, combine the butter and reserved strawberry juice.  Add the sliced strawberries.  Bring to boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.  Remove from heat; stir in extracts and icing sugar. 
 Pour over warm cake.
_________________

*  I couldn't find "strawberry extract" so I ended up making a trip to a super shop for baking stuff called "Sugar and Spice" - and the owner suggested I used strawberry flavouring oil .....


instead of extract.  it's more concentrated and works better, so I went with the oil for flavouring instead of extract - it worked a dream ( 10 drops in the cake and 5 in the glaze)
_______________________

The picture accompanying the recipe shows a pink glazed cake - now, the sauce I made was basically a jam and not really a glaze - it was great on the cake and the cake was super moist with a burst of strawberry flavour that just screamed Welcome Spring!! 
 It's a cake I would recommend and I will make again.
_______________________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

7 comments:

Barb said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave the recipe for us. That cake looks wonderful. I think I might make it for Easter dinner.

needlenurse said...

Looks delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Paula

cucki said...

Yummy :)

Terri said...

This looks really, REALLY good! Thanks for sharing!!

Loraine said...

That is interesting about the picture! That may explain some of the recipes I have made off the internet.
Your cake looks amazing!! Perfect for this time of year. Thanks for sharing.

Myra said...

Holy Cow .... it's gonna be a strawberry cake this weekend for the Lewises. Thanks Edgar ... you're the best!!!

Rita said...

Yummy looking pound cake!