Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Great Autumnal Cake.... Edited to add the use of the Lemon.....

Gentle Friends thank you all so much for your kind comments and emails about "Feast'y."  It was a fun piece to work on -

Sunday afternoon I decided to bake up a super easy and really great seasonal cake - it is a recipe from my DMIL and she got it from a neighbor who brought it west in the great migration out of the dust bowl in the 1930's.

......The cake is full of apples and nuts and I might have talked about it last year, but it is so good it's worth mentioning again!!  Here's the recipe.......

"Mom's Fresh Apple Cake"

Ingredients
4C Fresh peeled, cored and diced apples (red delicious)
      ( I used a mix of apples, Fuji, red delicious, Golden Delicious, and a Braeburn)
2C Sugar
1/2 C Oil
2 Eggs well beaten (room temperature)
2 teas Vanilla
1 1/2 C Chopped Walnuts
2C Sifted AP Flour
2 teas Soda (baking)
2 teas Cinnamon
1 teas salt
1 lemon for the juice 
I also added a big fat pinch of ground clove, at least 1 teas of nutmeg and at least a teas of ground ginger

Directions
Peel, core and chop apples, put in bowl with a little lemon juice to keep them from browning too much while you get them all prepped.  Combine apples and sugar, mix well. 


 Add oil, nuts, eggs, vanilla, blend.  Sift together dry ingredients.  


Add to apple mixture, blend.  Pour into a greased and floured 9x13x2 baking pan.  Bake 1 hour at 350.  My oven is on the hot side so my cake was done at 50 minutes.  When the cake has cooled turn it out of the pan and cut into squares - I sprinkled some icing sugar on top since the cake is so moist it needs no real icing......


_________________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

13 comments:

  1. YUM! Looks delish and easy...my favorite kind of recipes..haha. I'll keep this in mind because I have some apples (a mix also) that need to be used up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edgar, I so enjoy your blog!
    Today's recipe put a big smile on my face ... that recipe has been in MY family since I was a little girl (my mom said she clipped it from the local Pittsburgh, PA newspaper). We look forward to making this delicious cake every Fall and I've shared the recipe with so many friends that I've lost count. Everyone says they think of me (and specifically that recipe!) every Fall when it is apple time ... I like that! :)
    Thanks for sharing your "story" of The.Best.Apple.Cake.Ever ... it's easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. One small difference in recipes ... I use all Granny Smith apples just 'cause I like that tartness in baked goods! But you really can use any variety that is your personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a lemon in the picture - but my feeble eyes don't see a direction for it ! Also icing sugar?Is that powered sugar? I am going to make this - looks wonderful! Hope it's ok to put your blog link on my blog so all ten of my followers can make it to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOOOO hungry. I made the mistake of pressing the Recipe tag in you blog! Wow, so many delicious looking treats.

    Your Apple Cake looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look yummy and our stores are full of apples this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you think with the spice additions! I do agree with Lanie on using Granny Smith apples though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. I have a few apples in the crisper that need using up and this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to make this cake for sure!!!! I, too, missed the lemon in the recipe, but since it's in the photo, I'm going to add some. Hope I guess the right amount!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I feel bad about you having to edit - I should have known it was for the apples!! I'm sorry!! I made this cake last night - wow is it delicious!! This is now one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make this cake every year. I am making it today. Are you on Instagram?

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...