Thursday, July 11, 2013

Tickled Pink and a Little Thursday Thrifting

Gentle Friends thanks so much for your kind comments about yesterdays snap...here's a little explanation......  we were at a Bar-B-Que over the weekend at a friends house (they restored one of the painted ladies just off Alamo Square) and with a house full of people two of their four cats just slept through all the commotion soaking up the sunbeams - and if truth be told it wouldn't have taken much to get me to take a nap with them - but, it was a super day and I loved the way the picture captured the quiet moment.
________________

The other day the mail brought me something I won on the Bay of Evil.....  as most of you know one of the things I have collected for years and years is 18th and 19th century transferware.  I often go searching the listing of pieces (and there are 1000's) and came across a platter I was going to own....


The pattern is called "The Sea" and was made by Adams ca. 1840-60 - referred to as "pink" it is red in colour and I am lovin' my "new" piece of china!!!!!

Last Saturday I made it to some of the thrift /consignment shops and found some things....

 
.....  I found a great Longaberger basket marked $1.69, on sale for .75, so how could I pass on that!!  The silver tray was black with tarnish, but I saw how great it was, and saw it had a Gorham date mark for 1918, AND it was only $8, with such a great monogram I wasn't leaving this beauty behind,  and as usual I found some more DVD's to add to my ever growing collection of film.  "Rat Race" is so funny, and probably the best line has got to be....  "They should have bought a squirrel!"  I laugh every time!  It's worth a look.

There you go sports fans.  Thanks for stopping by, do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece of transfer ware! I have to stay off the Bay of Evil else I would be broke

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eye is usually drawn to blue transferware first but I love it in any color. Great find! Speaking of great finds...WOW on the basket!
    I need to keep Masterchief in check or we would need an additional house just for all his jars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that platter is wonderful!!! What a great find! Love the basket and silver platter too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always manage to finding the best things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love thrift stores! Great finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! Your friends did a great job on the restoration. This room is to awesome. When I first saw it I thought it was your home. You found some great buys! Hope you find time to stitch this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I see you header I'm inspired and think, I need to stitch something like that. I've stitched for quite a while but I've never stitched a sampler. So here's a tough question for you...I can hear you now "I can't choose just one!" But if you had to choose one or two to suggest which one(s) would you suggest I try first?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an amazing transferware piece. I love it! I can see why you needed to own it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Edgar, I guess that lovely floor was not yours! Oh well! Great finds and I love your plate, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to check Netflix and see if I can watch Rat Race! That looks like a really funny movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love all the things you find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha hahahahaha...we should have bought a squirrel!!!! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super great finds:)
    Beautiful platter x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great transferware piece!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great finds! I love the transferware platter. So pretty. The silver was a great find. It's nice you got it, now it will be well cared for!!

    I will have to find Rat Race to watch. Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great finds, as always! You must be a magnet for great finds! I go into a thrift shop & all I find are used baby clothes & old plastic containers that used to hold butter : (

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous platter!! And I too love Rat Race- though I admit one of my favorite parts is when Rowan Atkinson says... "We're hauling a**." LOL

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...